Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Gasp! Percy actually overplayed his hand!

Villan is percy6. I think he played it pretty poorly, considering what his started hand was -- I thought his raise on 5th was putrid. I'm posting cuz I usually don't see such silliness from him.

I considered raising 6th, but his K made me decided against it.

Thoughts?

7 Card Stud High ($20/$40), Ante $2, Bring-In $5 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.85 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.43 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (7.43 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River - (9.43 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: 11.43 BB

Results:
Main Pot: $454 | Rake: $3

Seat 2: [ 7d Th 7c 4s Ts Kh 5h ] [ two pairs, tens and sevens -- Kh,Th,Ts,7d,7c ]

Hero: [ 8d Qc 8c Tc 9d Qs 7s ] [ two pairs, queens and eights -- Qc,Qs,Tc,8d,8c ]
Old 09-03-2005, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Gasp! Percy actually overplayed his hand!

He's not doing to bad if this is his worst hand..
Old 09-03-2005, 08:23 PM

I don’t like his call on 3rd. The ten MIGHT be an over card - or it might just get him in trouble if he hits it, like it did here.
I don’t think the raise on 5th is bad. I’d probably wait till 6th, but that’s just me.
Lastly, I think you should raise on 6th. The only way that king helped him is if he started with buried kings; that won’t be the case very often.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only way that king helped him is if he started with buried kings; that won’t be the case very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

or 7-K-7, which is a very possible starting hand for him
Old 09-03-2005, 08:36 PM

Maybe I'm not following... what's so putrid about the raise on 5th? He called your 3rd street raise with an overcard to your likely pair of 8's. He would release the hand if you knew that you had the quality Qc kicker... But when he caught his 10, he raised with the best hand--you were drawing to 8 outs with 2 cards to come. According to twodimes, he's a 58% favorite at this point.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only way that king helped him is if he started with buried kings; that won’t be the case very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t think he would raise you with that on 5th. Even if he would, I still think it’s a raise.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe 7-K-7 is a possible starting hand, but his raise on 5th seems to suggest he has more than a pair of 7's, right?
Old 09-03-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe 7-K-7 is a possible starting hand, but his raise on 5th seems to suggest he has more than a pair of 7's, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
It also possible Percy thinks that Hero was restealing light on 3rd because it is possible that Percy was stealing initially. Depends on what Percy thinks of your play. But if this were the case, he might raise 5th with only one pair, hoping that Hero will fold with just overcards.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t think he would raise you with that on 5th. Even if he would, I still think it’s a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well maybe in theory, but I think even the best of us would have a hard time making this kind of raise. Whenever someone decent raises me with a board that is not at all scary, my first thought is trips, and my second thought is a big pocket pair.

If you're telling me that you would have been able to put him on 10s up based on his raise of 5th, then #1 I bow to your mad skillz and #2 why aren't you on the 20/40 tables 24/7 making crazy cash?

Anyway, in theory a raise would have been good, but even if I had, I'm very confident he wouldn't have called the river without having improved, so I don't believe I missed a bet.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, exactly, which is why I wasn't anxious to throw in a raise with 2 pair.