Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Folding Kings

Villian is 20/10/6 after 30 hands but no real reads
Call down, fold river or fold turn?
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

MP1 ($42.90)
Hero ($50)
MP3 ($30)
CO ($51.05)
Button ($49)
SB ($104.68)
BB ($54.30)
UTG ($179.81)
UTG+1 ($56.70)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls $2.50.

Flop: ($6.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $8</font>, Hero calls $4.

Turn: ($22.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $12</font>, Hero calls $12.

River: ($46.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $27</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $73.75
Old 09-03-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Folding Kings

Why call the turn if you're folding a blank river?

I'm probably calling the river.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:14 PM

As played I'd call the river. Myself, i would have re-raised the flop for fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] This could also set you up for a free turn.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why call the turn if you're folding a blank river?

I'm probably calling the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it was a mistake calling the turn. the turn says to me i'm beat.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As played I'd call the river. Myself, i would have re-raised the flop for fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] This could also set you up for a free turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't get this at all. A reraise allows villain to play perfectly against me no? also why a free card? in hopes of hitting 1 or 2 kings
Old 09-03-2005, 05:26 PM

Your bet after the flop looks like a continuation bet. Perhaps Villian is trying to push you off an unimproved hand here. This depends on villian stats etc.. etc... But I hate not being in the lead so I would want to re-raise. I may even push all in here. Again this all depends on your iomage and villians playing habits. The free card is in case you are afraid of him having a better hand. You re-raise you say 12 on the flop...villian calls and checks and you check = seeing the river for 12. You call his raise on the flop and his bet on the turn = 20. If he pushs all in on the flop...well i would assume he's got me there and I lost the least.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your bet after the flop looks like a continuation bet. Perhaps Villian is trying to push you off an unimproved hand here. This depends on villian stats etc.. etc... But I hate not being in the lead so I would want to re-raise. I may even push all in here . Again this all depends on your iomage and villians playing habits. The free card is in case you are afraid of him having a better hand. You re-raise you say 12 on the flop...villian calls and checks and you check = seeing the river for 12. You call his raise on the flop and his bet on the turn = 20. If he pushs all in on the flop...well i would assume he's got me there and I lost the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

pushing all in would be awful I think. What calls that I'm ahead of and what folds that I'm behind? Call minraise, fold turn loses least money of all. But villain has a PFA of 6, the checkminraise is very suspect, leading the turn after I call the check minraise also throws away the chance of a bluff. I'm putting villain on bottom set, MAYBE top 2 but unlikely. What kind of hand range does everyone put him on given stats and actions?

anyone else for a flop reraise?
Old 09-03-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of hand range does everyone put him on given stats and actions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is AJ out of the question here? this looks like AJ more than anything else.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:01 PM

i go broke on this hand
Old 09-03-2005, 06:16 PM

Chip spewing. Nothing has really changed from the flop to the river. With a turn and river blank, his hand was most likely made back on the flop. And so you call the flop c/r, and his turn bet. OK, fine: you must think your kings are good, right? Why else are you calling then? And then you fold on the river. Given your action in the hand, you have to call that river bet. It's a must.

He bet $12 on the turn. At that point you can calculate how much it's going to cost you to see a showdown. He bet about half pot there. Figure half pot on the river will be coming if you call. So on the turn, you know it's going to cost you around your whole stack to showdown this hand. So, decide right there what you're going to do. Fold it right there and move on to the next hand. Or. Because it's probably going to cost you your stack to see a showdown, you can push the turn if you want to. That last part is optional though, calling down is fine.

Being in the middle like you were in this hand is a big leak. Decide earlier what you are going to do and do it. Fold it earlier, or see it thru to the end.