Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 02:47 AM

Default When to limp?

I recently read a reply to this great thread:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;o=&vc=1

#5. Stop limping in NL.

Apparently, this is advice from Barry Greenstein.

So when do you limp? Table conditions? position? From SB?

Me myself do a lot of limping, especially with small pocket pairs from any position. Suited connectors also got me limping in position.
Is this a leak? Should i be raising with these kind of hands from position to gain initiative and take down more pots when i do a continuation bet?

I just feel like when i do get called on the flop when i have an underpair or a missed SC, i want to have a few more outs than 2. - trips with a pp - or runner 2-pair or trips with SC.
I realize that since i will do a lot of raising and betting, when i do hit a set, i'm likely to get paid off from someone who's running me down due to my aggressive table image.

Will the money won by taking down pots with initiative and aggression, combined with the money i make when i hit a hand outweigh the money lost when people are calling me down with paired hands?
I do realize that position is of the essence.
How about early position? Should i continue to limp with small pp:s? or do they belong in the muck? SC?

So to go back to my previous question... when do you limp?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Re: When to limp?

The context of what he was talking about there was a table at Live at the Bike that was full of players playing bad values and doing a ton of limping. He was commenting on how if you're going to play a hand, bring it in for a raise.

This also ties in to the other advice he gave about how, in general, he usually raises the same amount whether or not he has AA or suited connectors. This makes him harder to read.
Many probably feel they have to limp with a speculative hand cause they want to "see what happens with the flop" but his point is, if you hit something, you're setting yourself up to take a huge pot, otherwise you've just lost a little raise. Something along those lines. I'm sure limping has it's place, but in general he plays aggressive NL poker.
He's also one of the best poker players in the world who can adjust to any situation and player.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:12 AM

To give this thread a bump, i might clarify that what i speak of is open limping in late position.

Comments are welcome concerning open limping in EP and MP also.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:24 AM

I generally limp from the CO and button with small pairs and SCs. I sometimes raise in that spot if it's folded to me (to steal blinds, disguise my hand, steal the pot with a continuation bet on the flop, mix it up etc.) From the SB, it's an automatic limp if there are a bunch of limpers.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:26 AM

If it's folded to you in the CO or on the button, you really have to raise if you're going to play.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:30 AM

Good point. Thanks for the correction.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's folded to you in the CO or on the button, you really have to raise if you're going to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe this is categorically true in NL.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Me neither.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:38 AM

In TOP i think Sklansky makes a point about experts limping more hands in passive games in order to outplay their opponents on the flop. Nothing is wrong with limping. If im dealt 22 in the CO in a limped pot Im not gonna raise it up (75% of the time I'll limp too). If its just me and the blinds Im not necessarily gonna raise it either, it all depends on how loose the blinds are. If the blinds are gonna come in with any two, it might not be worth it to attack them from the CO/Button every time you play.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you referring to implied odds (play/stack sizes of the blinds), mixing up your play, or both?