Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 02:19 AM

Default I will not be donating to the victims of Katrina

First off let me say that I cannot imagine what it must be like to be directly affected by this awful natural disaster. My heart goes out to those who were and their loved ones lost.

Unfortunately for them, I will not be donating a dime to any charity for the relief effort. Our government should be able to fund the appropriate agencies but instead we have no surplus for several reasons. Priority one for the new president was that the wealthy people of this nation "needed" a huge tax break. Also, we're hemorrhaging money on the "war" in Iraq. Lastly, and the most disturbing to me since at least a tax break and the occupation of Iraq can be argued to have American interest in mind, our government hands out charity to other nations for disaster relief and copious other reasons when we obviously can't afford it.

I heard Mr. Bush speak today regarding the victims of Katrina and just as I thought he did not mention any international aid nor did he ask for any. He sure did ask the American people to send cash though.

We're losing a great many jobs to countries like China, India, Mexico, and Japan. Maybe since "our" president is so religious, he should pray that these countries will lend us a helping hand. Somehow though I dont beleive either will happen.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Re: I will not be donating to the victims of Katrina

there's more profit for Republicans to be engaged in war then in flood/disaster relief - makes the guys who donate money to the cause happy

may I suggest voting Democrat in the next election?

RB
Old 09-01-2005, 02:25 AM

yes this is the best possible way to express your dissatisfaction.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:30 AM

so do u think the people who are volunteering time and energy to rescue people from their roofs and attics are being ignorant? Should they just sit back and say.."this is not my responsibility?" you are sad, it shouldnt be about money at a time like this.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:33 AM

The government could do a lot of things differently that they aren't right now. I disagree with our current president and government with a lot of issues, but I certainly won't deny these people in need of my money in order to protest.

Pick a better spot. All I can say is that if you have the means and aren't willing to help out, then I hope you never accept aide should you ever end up in their position.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:40 AM

Ignorant. I feel sorry for you. How would you feel if your city got flooded and you lost everything and people said SCREW that. Im not helping at all. Not my Problem. Go Jump off a cliff.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:41 AM

Um. I don't know why that was directed at me, but I donated a significant (at least to me, a college student) amount of money to hurricane relief yesterday.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:43 AM

Much of the world is a cold and harsh place. Many people were never given anything by anyone. I would suspect I'm not the only person who wouldn't expect any help from anyone (random strangers) if anything happened to me.

Someone else said:
[ QUOTE ]
it shouldnt be about money at a time like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always about money.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:04 AM

you should have read the sarcasm a bit more closely in my post -

my point is that there SHOULD be federal funds for this problem, and there WERE resources set aside (as well as for flood control) that were diverted for the war in Iraq -

this is for the simple reason being that the powers that be would rather pay blood for oil and there's good money to be made in it -

the only way the guys in power would ever give a flying serious [censored] about New Orleans is because it does have some offshore drilling - otherwise I'm waiting for Pat Robertson to come on and say it's all God's will, taking out the city of sin or some other lameass [censored]...

I just told it the way it currently is, not the way it should be - I WILL be donating money - since my taxes went overseas to kill Iraqi's, at least this time my money can do some good.

RB
Old 09-01-2005, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately for them, I will not be donating a dime to any charity for the relief effort. Our government should be able to fund the appropriate agencies but instead we have no surplus for several reasons. Priority one for the new president was that the wealthy people of this nation "needed" a huge tax break. Also, we're hemorrhaging money on the "war" in Iraq. Lastly, and the most disturbing to me since at least a tax break and the occupation of Iraq can be argued to have American interest in mind, our government hands out charity to other nations for disaster relief and copious other reasons when we obviously can't afford it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretend you never got the tax break and send it to the charity. Your reasons for not donating are really bad. You don't want to help hurricane victims to spite president Bush? What sense does this make.

[ QUOTE ]
We're losing a great many jobs to countries like China, India, Mexico, and Japan.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a terribly misplaced argument, and a terrible argument in general. Although it has nothing to do with your "thesis," i'll quickly inform you that the free trade isn't hurting out country. My Michael Moore loving Political Science professor actually made the same bad argument yesterday, so i'll cut you some slack. The jobs that are going overseas are jobs that Americans will not do, or jobs that our trading allies do better. They have a comparative advantage in some things, and we have a comparitive advantage in others. Take econ 101, you'll learn a lot.