Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 01:58 AM

Default 75s versus the side pots of doom

Live 2/4. Table is, obviously, very poor. Pretty passive.

Hero has 75 clubs in EP.

One limper, Hero limps, 2 limpers, unknown Villain raises, the blinds come along, all the limpers call. 7 to the flop.

Flop (14 SB): 7 5 4 rainbow with 1 club

Limper checks, Hero bets, 2 limpers call, Villain raises, blinds call, limper folds, Hero 3-bets, one limper folds, one limper is all-in, Villain caps, blinds call, Hero calls.

Turn (16 BB): 6

SB (a passive old dude) bets, BB (a reasonable-but-too-passive woman) calls, Hero raises, Villain calls, SB goes all in for .25BB more, BB calls, Hero asks "does that reopen the betting?" and completes to a 3-bet, Villain calls, BB calls.

River (27.25 BB): 9

BB checks, Hero checks, Villain checks.

Here are my thoughts on the hand (in white):

<font color="white">
I hadn't sat down very long ago, so no table image. From the few rounds i've seen, the table has been as passive as your typical 2/4 table (except for a straddling, preflop-re-raising Action Donkey who wasn't involved in this hand). Thus, my EP limp with a suited one-gapper. How bad is this?

I was pretty sure Villain would raise and help me protect my hand and let me 3-bet. Once he capped the flop, i put him on an overplayed overpair (probably AA).

When passive SB lead the turn, i was pretty sure he had an 8. But i didn't want to give up in this large pot, so i raised. The pot is clearly too big to fold with a limited read, and i have 4 outs to a boat and 3ish outs to a split. Villain has 6 outs to counterfeit my two pair, and i didn't know what BB was up to, so i was trying to push them out. In retrospect, i think this was a mistake. I guess i have to just call down here?

Once SB is all-in, i like my 3-bet. I'm confident i'm ahead of Villain, and i figured to be ahead of BB at least sometimes, so now i'm 3-betting for value. Even if i lose the main pot(s -- remember another limper is all-in in this pot as well), i can extract a little bit of value from Villain and BB.
</font>

Here are the results (also in white):

<font color="white">
Villain shows AA. BB shows 76 for a higher two-pair (the 6 on the turn screws me yet again!). SB shows 89.

This rather painful hand haunts me for several additional minutes as the flustered dealer stares at the three exposed hands vying for the second side pot (and has to turn SB's hand face-down *twice*, since he keeps flipping it over in obvious glee). She doesn't kill any of the non-winning hands, then starts pushing a side pot to me. BB grips her cards fiercely, preventing their death by muck, and finally receives the second side pot. *Now* the dealer kills my hand and Villain's AA, but proceeds to read SB's hand as "pair of nines". Everyone at the table points out that he has a straight, the dealer counts out the straight, "4, 5, 6, 7, 8..., 9", pauses for a beat, and finally pushes the rest of the money to SB.
</font>

Is this all-in-one post totally insane? I thought i might elicit some more specific comments by including my thoughts, but i put them in white to make it easier to reply blind.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: 75s versus the side pots of doom

[ QUOTE ]
Is this all-in-one post totally insane?

[/ QUOTE ]

The turn raise is fairly insane. Are you really going to fold Mr. overplayed AA on the turn? Calling is not the same as "giving up".

But to answer the question you're actually asking, I don't mind reading a player's thoughts. You can include them in the OP (in plain text), or you can save them for later. Including them is good when you have read/player specific thoughts that you want to add.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:36 AM

Default Re: 75s versus the side pots of doom

How can you possibly raise this turn? That's horrible.

The preflop call is pretty bad too. I'm not limping 75s in EP at any table that actually exists.