Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 09:56 PM

Default 3 bigs and a small

I frequently get dealt hands like AdQdJs5s, KcJcTh6s, etc. in the low limit PLO games I frequent on-line.

Do you guys/gals play these hands? Are these hands big losers, small losers, marginal winners/losers in the long run at the lower limits where the players pretty much play accordingly to what they hold?

How about the upper limits? Auto-toss? Dependent on size of pot? More dependent on who is in pre-flop?
Old 09-01-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Re: 3 bigs and a small

I think one of my greatest weaknesses is that i tend to play these hands too often. I'm sure it will kill me if I continue to do it when I move up stakes.

But to answer your main question, I looked up my past month with poker tracker. I only counted the times I played a hand with three different bigs (AKQ,AKJ,AQJ,KQJ) and one small (6,5,4,3,2). I did not include hands in which I checked in the BB.

Out of almost 10000 hands I played this 146 times (again, not including BB checks). I won with it 25 times for a net loss of 75 big blinds. Furthermore, in 21 of those winning hands I had a suited Ace, 1 had a suited King, and 2 had a suited Queen (for a combined $1.15 profit btw, yippee). Only once did I win with a rainbow hand.

To put this performance in perspective, out of the nearly 4000 hands I voluntarily put money in the pot I averaged about +100 big blinds per 146 hands.

Conclusion: only play them with a suited Ace, if at all. Don't call a big raise with it.

Hmm, thanks for the question. I just convinced myself to stop playing these hands.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:19 AM

Just to clarify, those stats are just for the times I played the .10/.25 (aka $25) tables.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:22 AM

I play these hands, but only with a suited ace, and in late position. I believe most of the profit from these hands comes from redraws, not flopping the nut str8.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:32 AM

I think this is right on. The biggest profit from these hands comes from flopping the nut straight or a 13outer if possible with the nut flush draw and freerolling your opponent.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the information. Exactly what I was looking for.

Lately, I have resolved to only play them cheaply in the blinds or suited in late position w/multiple players.

My PTO database wasn't big enough to draw any valid conclusions.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Lately, I have resolved to only play them cheaply in the blinds or suited in late position .

[/ QUOTE ]