Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2003, 01:05 PM

Default Flopped set - misplayed on every street?

Very loose, very passive 3/6 at Mohegan Sun.

UTG limps, I limp UTG+1 with 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] . 2 MP limpers, CO limps, Button raises. Blinds fold and we all call. 6 of us see the flop for 2 bets each.

Button is a new player. I haven't seen him do anything out of line in the hour he's been at the table. CO is a typical low limit opponent.

Flop: 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

Everyone checks to the button who bets. UTG calls, I check raise and MPs fold to CO who check raise 3-bets. Button caps. UTG folds, I call, CO calls.

Turn: [7 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] ] A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to the button who bets, we both call.

River: [7 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] ] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

Checked to the button who bets, we both call.

I wasn't very happy with my play, I'm curious what you think.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Flopped set - misplayed on every street?

It sounds like a tough game if the typical low limit opponents check-raise 3-bet.

Old 04-16-2003, 04:18 PM

I would have led out on the flop. Given the way you played the flop, I think check-calling to the river was fine. Odds are one of these guys has a flush, so you want to draw to your boat cheap. Even though you are likely beaten, there is no way I would fold on the river (don't know that this even crossed your mind).

-- Homer
Old 04-16-2003, 04:33 PM

So if you flopped a set with a flush sitting, you wouldn't fold off if you felt someone hit the flush?
Old 04-16-2003, 04:39 PM

I didn't say I'd never fold, just that I wouldn't fold in this situation (i.e. - Playing at a 3/6 table at which my opponents likely have no clue).

On the river, getting 16.5:1, with what looks like little possibility of a raise behind me, I'm going to call (in this game).

-- Homer
Old 04-16-2003, 04:57 PM

In a raised multiway pot you have plenty enough outs to outdraw a flush; 7 on the flop and 10 on the turn.

Lost Wages
Old 04-16-2003, 05:11 PM

I played Friday night at the Sun and took some of the worst beats at a must move 3-6 table (the main game played much better). I'm actually impressed your check raise on the flop took out a player. I turned in to a calling machine on hands like these. I think just calling it down is your best option here hoping to fill and not be beat buy the guy utg who holds 72o when the seven comes on the river.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:13 PM

Not sure why you would want to checkraise the button from EP in this situation. The only hands that will fold behind you are hands which have virtually no chance of out-drawing you anyway. Plus, you can be sure that anyone who has flopped a flush will three bet. With 6-way action it would even be correct to pump it with just the A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img].

IMO, bet out and call a raise on the flop. If raised then check-call the turn and river (unless of course you fill-up [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] or the fourth spade falls).

Lost Wages
Old 04-16-2003, 06:12 PM

I don't think u played it bad at all. I think a flop checkraise is good to make the As pay. The cutoff making it 3 doesn't mean he flopped a made hand, he easily could have something a pair and a big spade, just the As, or something like 10-10. I am calling this down right along with you. BTW...I'll be at Fox and Mohegan the weekend of May 16-17..hope to meet u...found a nice cheap motel 10 miles from Fox. Can you tell me what limits Fox and Mohegan have 5-10 and up. Thanks...

Jeff
Old 04-16-2003, 06:20 PM

For upper games go to Foxwoods. Mohegan as 5-10 w/kill at $65 which plays more 10-20 with 3 blinds than 5-10. The 10-20 game is hit or miss, i've seen it flourish and i've seen it stumble off the ground and fall flat on its face. There is only one table going at 10-20 though. There is usually a 20-40 game going and sometimes bigger on the weekend. Foxwoods I've been to much less frequently but last time I was there there were 4 or 5 10-20 tables, 3 20-40 tables and some bigger, and 4 5-10 tables, 2 w/kills at $100.

as for the hand I like the check call it down end to this also.