Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2003, 03:27 AM

Default Mirage 6-12, AQ in the small blind.

One loose weak limper in mid position, Folded to me in the small blind with A [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]. I raise, BB, and the limper call.

flop, 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] .

That might not have helped anyone, If I was in the lead before, I still am, I bet, BB calls, MP folds.

Turn, A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] . I bet, BB raises, and I think for a minute, and three bet. Do people like this play? What do you put the BB on.

I wasn't sure, I thought that maybe he had a lesser Ace than I did, but I also thought that it could be two overcards to the flop that were spades, and he was making a semibluff raise.

River, 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] . oops, Now what do I do?

I'll tell you what I did, and you can tell me whether or not it was a good idea. I checked, and BB checked behind me. He held AJ off, and my hand was good. I think in retrospect, I might have one an extra bet on the turn, and then on the river, let it slip out of my hands.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Mirage 6-12, AQ in the small blind.

I don't like the 3 bet on the turn. As a pre-flop raiser, the Ace looks to have helped your hand, yet your opponent raises. He must be aware that you could have a big ace. Even if he has a hand like AJ, most players would fold that to a three bet, don't you think? If he is making a move (which is possible given the paired board and the fact that he is in the BB), you should let him continue bluffing. I think you should just call him down.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:45 AM

Hi Bob!
I like your 3-bet on the turn.
You say nothing about the BB as a player. Anyway I'm assuming he's average.
I think that the BB would not call you pre-flop with a hand that could beat you on the turn, except perhaps 44 or A4s. He would probably raise you with AK and not call you with a hand that contains a 2 since you're making an isolation play and are holding big cards and/or a pocket pair.
Since he could put you on many hands that don't contain an A, you should reraise him on the turn, since he would raise you with many hands you can beat.
I would also bet on the river, I think more hands will call you that you can beat that would bet if you're ahead.

/Nicht gut
Old 04-15-2003, 08:56 AM

Bob,
I like the raise. When you are re-raised my first thought is either an Ace or a semi-bluff for the flush. If he had a big ace, I might have expected some more action from him pre-flop. So I put him on a weak ace or a flush draw. When the third flush card falls, check call the river.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:21 AM

The turn 3 bet is good. Checking the river is bad. Can't be missing that river bet, especially when you can fold to a raise with 100% confidence.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:18 PM

Default What I think in the light of day.

Bet/fold the river has to be the right play. Clarkmeister as usual is right on the mark.

My opponent has to put me on a range of hands, including semibig to big pairs, he beat those hands, or at least is representing that he beat those hands with an ace, and I have a fairly good ace, so it is likely that my hand is good.

He likely has one of two hands, an Ace, or two spades. Given how I have played my hand, if he has an Ace, with a worse kicker, I don't think that he can raise on the river, and he will likely call. If he has two spades, and just made a flush, he probably will raise on the river.

By checking/calling the river, I will lose one bet when I am behind, and win none when I am ahead. If I bet/ fold to a raise, I will win one when I am ahead, and lose one when I am behind. Clearly the second choice is better. Thanks for your responses.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:02 PM

If you are the BB, and you have i.e. A9s do you call the three-bet? Does it matter that the board is paired? Assume unknown opponent in SB.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:09 PM

"If you are the BB, and you have i.e. A9s do you call the three-bet? Does it matter that the board is paired? Assume unknown opponent in SB. "

I call the 3-bet, but I wouldn't raise the turn.

The paired board makes little difference headsup. AA is the only hand that I'm really worried about and that's only 1 combo. If he has AA, then God bless him.

Old 04-15-2003, 03:41 PM

I'm going to disagree with everyone here and say that I hate the three-bet, especially if you are going to check the river. At the point where you made this decision, I don't really see putting him on the flush draw semi-bluff. What do you think he had? KsQs? This is the best one, and do you really see him calling the flop with that after you raised preflop (and a potential raiser behind him on the flop)?

I put him on either an ace that ties or is worse than yours, or, specifically, Ah2h. With AK he would have raised preflop, with A4s he should have raised on the flop (but maybe not). With AQ - A9, he'd have played it just the way he did (hoping you have a big pair but not aces). With A2s (which now has to be hearts) he also would have played it just the way he did, calling on the flop to keep the other caller in, then raising the turn.

Now, on all the hands where you are ahead, if you just call the turn and then check the river, he will certainly bet and you can call and win. For these, you win the same amount as with your betting pattern.

For all the hands where you are behind, he is going to raise you on the turn, and you will have to dump it. You won't get your chance to draw to your only out to tie, the last ace. Even if he doesn't re-re-raise you, if you check the river he will probably bet then. Are you going to call?

So, the bottom line is that you win the same when you are ahead, but you lose more, or at least lose your chance to draw for a miracle, when you are behind.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:15 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I put him on either an ace that ties or is worse than yours, or, specifically, Ah2h. With AK he would have raised preflop, with A4s he should have raised on the flop (but maybe not).

[/ QUOTE ]

So why shouldn't he reraise the turn?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Now, on all the hands where you are ahead, if you just call the turn and then check the river, he will certainly bet and you can call and win. For these, you win the same amount as with your betting pattern.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reraise turn + bet river (if he calls) = 3 bets
Call turn + check call river (if he bets) = 2 bets

/Nicht Gut