Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Bush dictatorship wins. Constitution is dead.

web page

US Congress votes to make Patriot Act permanent
By Bill Van Auken
1 August 2005
By “unanimous consent” the United States Senate moved last Friday to turn the bulk of the repressive legislation known as the USA Patriot Act into permanent law.

web page

Pentagon devising scenarios for martial law in US
By Patrick Martin
9 August 2005
According to a report published Monday by the Washington Post, the Pentagon has developed its first ever war plans for operations within the continental United States, in which terrorist attacks would be used as the justification for imposing martial law on cities, regions or the entire country.

Graham adds: “when it comes to ground forces possibly taking a lead role in homeland operations, senior Northcom officers remain reluctant to discuss specifics. Keating said such situations, if they arise, probably would be temporary, with lead responsibility passing back to civilian authorities.”

A remarkable phrase: “probably would be temporary.” In other words, the military takeover might not be temporary, and could become permanent!
Old 08-30-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Bush dictatorship wins. Constitution is dead.

And whats bad about this? I'am not a bush fan but I think the patriot act is a good thing.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And whats bad about this? I'am not a bush fan but I think the patriot act is a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well for one, its already been used (abused) beyond its original scope to get evidence in drug cases, etc., which have nothing to do with national security but gives law enforcement a chance to get around the law.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-30-2005, 04:03 PM

You do realize laws are reviewed by the supreme court and they decide if its unconstitutional or notm sofar this one has stood.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You do realize laws are reviewed by the supreme court and they decide if its unconstitutional or notm sofar this one has stood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fishooks,

I have a standing challenge to anyone in this forum to cite me a specific article of the Patrtiot Act they feel is either a) an unprecedented extension of gov't power , b) has personally affected their personal freedome, or c) has been abused in some fashion. The best response Ive gotten yet is a link to a page of ACLU talking points. Its a perfect example of people mouthing platitudes about personal liberty and civil rights abuses without real knowledge of laws/regulations in question.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:08 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! WHYYYYYYYYYYY! [censored]!
Old 08-30-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And you do realize that the Supreme Court recently ruled that eminent domain laws can be used to seize private lands in order to be sold to private land developers in the name of "public good." Thus, the Supreme Court should not be used as a yardstick when considering a law's impact on freedom and liberty.

(Incidentally, there is a half-hearted movement to use emininent domain to seize Justice Souter's property and see how he likes it, and let's all hope it succeeds!)
Old 08-30-2005, 04:10 PM

On a side note, I've been warning you people about all this for a while, do you see yet what is going on in this country and in this world? WAKE UP!
Old 08-30-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thus, the Supreme Court should not be used as a yardstick when considering a law's impact on freedom and liberty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Double Standard here? Since I bet you think it should regarding Roe V Wade.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well for one, its already been used (abused) beyond its original scope to get evidence in drug cases, etc., which have nothing to do with national security but gives law enforcement a chance to get around the law.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin

[/ QUOTE ]

ben franklin doesnt live in our time.

Also, i dont see any problem with law enforcement going around the lay to catch drug dealers. I have nothing to hide nor do I participate in illegial activities so they can go crazy for all i care.