Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Not another crybaby...

Here it is folks... yet another bad beat story... I'm not complaining, just looking for advice.

$300 - $500 restricted buy-in NL ring game. Loose game, standard bring in bet is about $20... $5 & $5 blinds at the Bike. The small blind is a loose player that makes it $20 everytime there is multiple limpers like clock work. To my left is an ultra dumb calling station (As already called off $1,000 with top and middle pair).

Hero- Limp with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Four Limpers, Small blind makes it $20 (like clock work)

Hero- Limp re-raises to $85; calling station and small blind call.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets $120... call; call

Turn: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Small blind folds out of turn, Hero bets $140, calling station calls (at this point I put him on K-rag, maybe a club draw).

River: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero checks to the calling station hoping he missed his draw and goes all in. Calling station goes all in for an additional $170.00

Hero calls... Calling station show 4 6 OFFSUITE for the nuts straight.

Any suggestions? I know this is just "another bad beat" story... but I don't see how I can get away from this hand against a calling station. Against any descent player I would give them credit for a set... or maybe turning two pair... HELP
Old 08-30-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Not another crybaby...

You could quit playing poker.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:05 PM

is it not obvious to you now that you shouldve bet waaaaay more on the turn, like maybe, all your chips?
Old 08-30-2005, 01:08 PM

Announce ALL-IN on the TURN!
Old 08-30-2005, 01:45 PM

I totally understand pushing all in on the turn if I knew exactly what he had... the problem is that he is an absurd calling station. I wanted to "chip away" at him $100 - $150 at a time if he had something like KJ, K-rag or Q-9 of Clubs.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:51 PM

If he is an absurd calling station, he'll call you all in no matter what.
-James
Old 08-30-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I totally understand pushing all in on the turn if I knew exactly what he had... the problem is that he is an absurd calling station. I wanted to "chip away" at him $100 - $150 at a time if he had something like KJ, K-rag or Q-9 of Clubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this is that you are giving any 8-out plus draw the odds to call. The great thing about players like this is that they will often a big bet with a weak made hand. Take advantage of that and push the turn. It's not even that big of a bet. A push is way smaller than the pot at that point.

You seem outraged that he played FOUR SIX against your aces. FOUR SIX makes straights just like two clubs makes flushes, they both can crack aces, and the straight is better disguised, although most people who bet this hand like you did would payoff the flush with angry words about preflop hand selection just as easily as the straight. Yes, the calling station (with ~600?) shouldn't have called 80 more with 64, even given the dead money in the pot, the likelihood others might come along, and the flashing aces sign on your forehead. But, hands like these crack hands like aces all the time. It's a part of no limit and something you have to be aware of when you find yourself with aces on a drawing board.

You bet less than half the pot on the flop and way less on the turn. He practically had odds for the five-outer weak pair you thought he had. Once he saw the flop, with 6-8 outs, his calls were correct given the size of your bet, the size of the pot and the likely implied odds. Maybe he would have overpaid for his draw, but we'll never know since you didn't make him.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:07 PM

Learned from TV... I totally understand your comment... I will concede that I should have bet more on the flop.

However, a limp reraiser usually shows a lot of strength, I just can't imagine any descent-to below average player calling with 4-6 off... if it was suited I could definately see making a case for trying break me with straight/flush draw, but come-on.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:08 PM

PS... had a club or additional broadway card come on the river... I was completely ready to fold... the three lookded super safe for me.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS... had a club or additional broadway card come on the river... I was completely ready to fold... the three lookded super safe for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why people call raises with 64. But, in this case, the stacks were not deep enough to warrant it.