Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Could I have finally found an interesting hand to post? (UB 50/100)

Hi guys.

I rarely post hands here anymore because I have a pretty bad sense of what hands are actually interesting or not but this hand seems like it might qualify and its not a party 30/60 hand either.

I play pretty tight in this game and (16/10/2.x) and because the player base is so small, my opponent definitely recognizes me. My opponent is a solid winner in the game (20/13/x) and probably is opening on my blind a bit more liberally since I don't defend as much as some other tags in the game.

My first hand at the table I get K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB and it folds to the SB who open raises, I call.

Flop (2 BB): T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] He bets I raise he calls.

Turn (4 BB): 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Check check

River(4 BB): 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Check, bet, checkraise, call

Comments on all streets appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Could I have finally found an interesting hand to post? (UB 50/100)

Hindsight being 20/20 and all, this is why checking behind on this river is best, especially against potentially tricky and savvy opposition. Up to that point I was right there with you ... how many worse hands call your bet on the river, given the action?

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 08-30-2005, 06:21 AM

I don't understand your motivation to bet the river. Paying off the check-raise... ugh. 7:1 seems reasonable since I have a hard time putting him on a hand. It's clear that you could have nothing from this action, so he could be bluffing. I'd pay off and then wonder why I'd bet in the first place.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 08-30-2005, 07:35 AM

Why do you think he got a better hand then yours when he calls flop and check turn? You got 14 outs for 2pair or better and flop looks extremly drawish so if he got better then you I dont see why he shouldnt put you on a draw and reraise flop? If he only had middlepair I could see him call flop and bet turn when its not a flushcard (but HU it do seems weak). But call flop and check turn?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys.

I rarely post hands here anymore because I have a pretty bad sense of what hands are actually interesting or not but this hand seems like it might qualify and its not a party 30/60 hand either.

I play pretty tight in this game and (16/10/2.x) and because the player base is so small, my opponent definitely recognizes me. My opponent is a solid winner in the game (20/13/x) and probably is opening on my blind a bit more liberally since I don't defend as much as some other tags in the game.

My first hand at the table I get K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB and it folds to the SB who open raises, I call.

Flop (2 BB): T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] He bets I raise he calls.

Turn (4 BB): 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Check check

River(4 BB): 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Check, bet, checkraise, call

Comments on all streets appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
PREFLOP: Good call. FlOP: Good raise. TURN: You seriously need to bet this turn! You have a flush draw and a piece, and if you are in the lead, which you easily could be in this situation, you dont want to give your opponent a free card to beat you. Bet the turn with the intention of checking the river for a free showdown.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:10 AM

The turn check bad. Might've saved you a bet on this particular hand, but in general not good.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:54 AM

SEEE!! dont you GET IT.!!??

this is why you need sophia to tell you "BRAAAAAAAAAAA bet the turn."

listen to the parrot, its wise beyond its years.

Barron
Old 08-30-2005, 08:12 PM

I have a different from just about everyone else that has replied thus far.

I like the river bet given your turn play.

I don't mind your turn play although I definitely see a case for betting.

I would hate your turn check if you intended on also checking the river unless you improved. Your turn check tells the other guy you don't have very much and could well have nothing but a draw. When the river blanks, you must bet because you do in fact have something and can expect a call from ace high. When he raises, you have an automatic call because he might well be bluffraising you because he might well think that you are bluffing.

That is, he is probably thinking "that dude ain't got a queen or a ten because he would bet those on the turn. He wouldn't bet an 8 on the river. So, he probably has two pairs or better or is bluffing with bluffing being way more likely. I have got nothing myself. I didn't want to bet it initially as I thought he might call with just an 8 or even ace high but his bet changes things. I think he is bluffing. Perhaps, I can take the pot away by raising".
Old 08-30-2005, 09:45 PM

If you bet the turn, and he raises. Do you just call down unimproved?
Old 08-30-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Could I have finally found an interesting hand to post? (UB 50/100

hate your turn check. wtf?