Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 11:11 PM

Default which books?

I got 7000 pts and I was wondering which books do you guys recommend me reading. I haven't read any poker books yet. I been playing poker for around 5 months and I am making a pretty good profit in the lower limits. I usually play 25NL and .50/1.00 Limit. I want to move up in limits. I prefer NL, but also want to play limit in 2/4 or 3/6. I'm an online play and I don't play much live games.

http://www.boogster.com/store.asp?category=book

so which books do you guys think I should get?
Old 08-29-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Re: which books?

For limit poker, read Ed Miller's SSHE, ITH by Matthew Hilger, and Sklansky's The Theory of Poker. Sklansky's HEPFAP is also pretty good.

For NL, get the Harrington books and The Theory of Poker.

I'd suggest concentrating on one game or the other as a beginner.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:55 PM

HEPFAP = Hold em Poker for Advanced Players? Also I couldnt find the Ed Miller's SSHE. What does SSHE stand for btw. Sorry I not good for the terms yet.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:29 AM

You are correct about HEPFAP.

SSHE is Small Stakes Hold'em. It's the red book. It helped me become a winning player.

Also, I think there is a post on commonly used abbreviations on this site somewhere. It'll help you figurre out all of the mumbo jumbo people are spouting off around here.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:56 AM

My suggestions would be:

2000 on Theory of Poker. Every serious player no matter which game they play should wear the cover and bindings off of this one.

2000 on Small Stakes Hold'em. Bar far, the best book I've seen on the lower limit games that you want mentioned.

2000 on Pot Limit and No-Limit Poker by Reuben and Ciaffone. It is not strictly Hold'em as Championship Pot-Limit and No-Limit Hold'em by Cloutier and McEvoy but, IMHO, a much better book.

I'd save the other 1,000 (unless you will never garner any additional points) and put them towards a future purchase, such as the Harrington on Hold'em books. Even though you didnt mention tournaments, there is still a good amount of information in them that you will find valuable.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:29 PM

[sarcasm]Pick up the 2 Helmuth books and the Annie Duke book. If you have any pts left I,d go for the Ken Warren book. You know anything by Warren is worth a read.[/sarcasm]