Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2003, 11:02 PM

Default Big stick, flop the nuts, but no payday, what did I do wrong

I was playing 2-4 hold-em at the Tropicana in AC. The table I am at is very loose with two maniacs. I am dealt A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] in the BB. 7 callers limp around to me when I raised. 4 players called. 5 see the flop.
K [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]
I am UTG after the flop so I bet $2. The whole table folds and I don't make a big pot. The table had been wild with pre and post flop capping, reraises with rags and calls on nut flush boards. What could I have done differently to make a bigger payday?
Old 04-13-2003, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Big stick, flop the nuts, but no payday, what did I do wrong

hi death
not much you can do on this one. looks good to me. oftentimes, raising from the BB means you have good starting cards. you hit so powerfully though, that there is room for actually slow-playing because of strength. we see this so seldomly that when it happens, we figure betting out is the best means of concealment. and i can't say i'd have played it differently, only now i will remind myself that sometimes we can and should slow-play a little in these rare instances.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:59 PM

I will answer your question with a question: how do you win a pot when someone else flops a royal flush?

The answer is that sometimes, you can't control what cards the other players have, and you can't control how they act on them.

On a maniac table, simply betting out is usually a good idea. People with Ax or Kx will give you ridiculous action. Those hands weren't out this time, bad luck for you.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:08 AM

I thought about slowplaying, but on the last hand I had K [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] in SB. I flop top two pair. I bet out every round. I lost to the maniac who showed 5-2 offsuit and caught runner-runner 2's for trips.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:30 AM

Your opponents have to have a little bit of the flop in order for you to win more this hand. I suspect that you have all of the good cards. I usually don't advocate slowplaying, but if I did, this would be a good candidate for a slowplay, you are only vulnerable to AA, which I suspect isn't out there, so you might check the flop, and hope that someone catches up a little bit. On the other hand, betting here, when you have all of the flop, will make it more likely that they will fold when you bet, and you didn't get all of the flop. So it isn't just about what you won here, but also what you might win on those other hands.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:35 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

it's possible you may have collected as much as you couldve.

what would you be asking if you limped, caught this hand, bet out, and everyones folds.

without seeing the other hands, it's only a shot in the dark

b
Old 04-14-2003, 01:48 PM

Being out of position, I would just bet the flop and hope someone had a King or an Ace and be willing to play with me. If I raise preflop and the flop comes AKK and I don't bet, my opponents would probably muck to my check.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:57 PM

Not trying to be a prick but...

1. I think you meant big slick, not big stick
2. It is only called big slick when the AK is suited
3. You did not flop the nuts. KK would be the nuts, followed by AA as the second nut, and AK as the third nut

Anyway, onto the play of the hand. Normally when I slop a monster hand such as this, I will check. If it checks all the way around, the only possible damage that could be done is if another ace hits, then you split with Ax, or if someone hits runner runner for quads. I would take my chances with a check that maybe someone will take a stab on the flop, and just smooth call. Then I bet out the turn and river.

Rick Diesel
Old 04-14-2003, 02:35 PM

Default Not trying to be a prick, but....

...AK does not have to be suited for it to be called big slick.

-- Homer
Old 04-14-2003, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Not trying to be a prick, but....

Then it become suited slick. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]