Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Play low suited connectors against a raise?

I have a theory!
If I play low suited connectors against someone who raises, arent my chances to win almost the same?
I can score a flush, a low straight or heck, even a pair of 5's if the board flops poorly for the guy holding AK.

Obviously he can have AA but many times the raiser dont hold a PP.

Yeah I know this is a stupid idea, but it stuck me how it sucks when the flop is 3h 4h 8d when I hold AsKs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Play low suited connectors against a raise?

HAHA!
The second after I posted this I hold 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and have a raise in front of me. I decide to test my theory and the flop comes 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] giving me a straight flush.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:02 PM

Honestly i can't really fathom how anyone ever folds anything preflop. What with the implied odds and all.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HAHA!
The second after I posted this I hold 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and have a raise in front of me. I decide to test my theory and the flop comes 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] giving me a straight flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Straight flushes come in very very infrequently. To get one a few seconds after posting a thought on suited connectors, with a one gapper, nonetheless, is downright unbelieveable.

Do not let the results of one hand convince you to play badly like this. You will lose all your money sooner than you think.

Stick to the guidelines of SSH preflop theory. What you are essentially doing is cold calling a raise. CCing should only be done with the strongest of holdings that do not justify a reraise, yet are too good to fold under the circumstances.

Low suited connectors/one gappers do not fall into this category.

Onaflag.............
Old 08-29-2005, 11:10 PM

my answer is rarely-
in agreement with onaflag i'd just like to make the point that yes suited connectors are strong hands if given the right multiway pot (often strengthened by position & closing the action) but few times are we really sure enough on our read that it's AK vs. TT-AA as most low limit (my party 2/4) players will pfr and bet out the same way regardless of the board.

SSHE quotes the wisdom that coldcalling is not profitable long term, and yeah it sucks when you pfr AK and blanks hit and someone calls down but examine your suited con's carefully for correct drawing odds before coldcalling.

The odds on overcards vs. undercards (from Harrington I) are 5 to 3. so if your AK vs 56s read is correct you're prolly in better position then you think- helps if youre not dominated on the suit- goodluck/
Old 08-29-2005, 11:52 PM

Are we talking limit or NL? I think its totally different. low suited connectors probably wont pay in limit against a raise. If you play a super system style of play they can be big winners in NL. I know a lot of NL players that will play lots of low suited connectors, and they usually bust out.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:18 AM

Let me start off by saying I realise this is bad play.
I was thinking out loud with my first post, and then this happens. Of course I know it's a losing play longterm. Just thought it was funny it happened after I made my first post.

It's fixed limit for the record.

Either way, I was in the BB and it was raised a few seats to the left of me, making the pot rather large. It was one bet to me, is it really THAT bad calling with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]? What about if I have 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?
Old 08-30-2005, 03:51 AM

Uh sorry, Im both Moster and basil..
Using one login from work and another from home since the home account wont work from work for some reason.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:08 AM

If the pot was truly that large then it isn't such a bad call, especially from the BB where you already have one bet in, but with a raise and a large number of CCers it's almost certain that you don't have the best hand preflop so I would definitely make this play very carefully, if at all. If I were to try and relate this back to Sklansky's teachings, this would be a hand that I called with some of the time, with folding it being the more frequent choice by far and raising being the last choice (read: almost never). In this case, you said there were already a lot of cold callers. That MIGHT be one of the few situations where a raise for value is appropriate, since if you flop a monster it's an even larger pot that you are taking down. For this to work you would need to be sure that your raise wouldn't get too many people to fold, so you would want to make it into a field of looser players at a table where your image is not that of too tight a player. Regardless, this is the situation that you want to be in if you're going to play a hand like that. The pot needs to be multiway and large. It's also an easy hand to play post flop since if you don't hit anything you can lay it down very easily. You still need to consider, however, that with all those people in the pot if the clubs hadn't fallen to give you the straight you might find yourself getting trapped into calling multiple bets to the river by someone with higher flush cards. I'm glad this one worked out for you.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:28 AM

The way I see it, there are very few situations where such a hand is worth a call against a raise.

If you are in the blinds and UTG raises and then EVERYONE calls, then it is probably a good idea to see the bet - the pot is already very large and you know you will not be facing a raise behind you.

Perhaps is you are also on the button and know SB and BB to be very tight players - but again, you would have to be facing a lot of calls.

You would also want the raiser to be a loose player - if they are a tight player, then you can put them on a good hand.

The irony in this situation is that the only way you would call the raise is if the pot is large - but for the pot to be large, the raise would have to come from early position, which would indicate that the raiser has a strong hand.