Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Moving Up Questions about 6m and Full

I believe I have the experience to move up now from .5/1 to 1/2, but im not sure if i should try 6m or full ring. Im a 6m player at .5/1 and am doing fairly well and have dipped into 1/2 6m and im doing about the same (same stats and all). Im just wondering if there is enough to learn in 1/2 full ring or just to play 6m. My belief is that the only thing i would learn is how to play against a rock garden, which i dont think is horrible to learn, but im pretty sure im a bit used to playing against tight opponents as i mostly 4 table during afternoons EST. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Moving Up Questions about 6m and Full

Anything 2/4 and below is hardly ever goign to be a rockgarden. Keep in mind, though, that just because you are winning now doesn't mean you are necessarily a winning player overall. As for .5/1 6max, many of us agreed that it was definitely possible to play over 50% of our hands and still win at that level for over 50k hands.

If you feel you're ready, go for it, but I would recommend posting your PT stats for your last ~30k hands.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:38 PM

One thing you should really take into account is bankroll considerations. You need a bigger bankroll for 6m than full-ring; if you're just starting to have enough in your roll for 1/2 full, I'd wait for a couple hundred BB before going to a swingier 6m game.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:30 PM

That's what everyone says. Never is there a 6 max v. Full ring post where someone doesn't say that 6 max is swingier. However, my SD/100 for full ring is actually a little bit larger than my 6 max SD/100. I'm willing to accept that 30k hands of each isn't enough for proper convergence if someone has a sample that proves me wrong, but check your session notes --> more details section. You might just surprise yourself. I think this gets tossed around mostly because the thing about 6 max is that it's faster. Your downswings, while perhaps over a similar number of hands and for a similar number of BBs, occur over fewer hours. If I'm full of small sample size BS, let me know, but check your PT data.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's what everyone says. Never is there a 6 max v. Full ring post where someone doesn't say that 6 max is swingier. However, my SD/100 for full ring is actually a little bit larger than my 6 max SD/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed this myself although I also have a small sample size.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's what everyone says. Never is there a 6 max v. Full ring post where someone doesn't say that 6 max is swingier. However, my SD/100 for full ring is actually a little bit larger than my 6 max SD/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed this myself although I also have a small sample size.

[/ QUOTE ]

link
Old 08-29-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe I have the experience to move up now from .5/1 to 1/2, but im not sure if i should try 6m or full ring. Im a 6m player at .5/1 and am doing fairly well and have dipped into 1/2 6m and im doing about the same (same stats and all). Im just wondering if there is enough to learn in 1/2 full ring or just to play 6m. My belief is that the only thing i would learn is how to play against a rock garden, which i dont think is horrible to learn, but im pretty sure im a bit used to playing against tight opponents as i mostly 4 table during afternoons EST. Any info is greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

1/2 is NOT a rock garden.

When I first came up I think I noticed a tightness about the 1/2 tables, but now that I've got 15k or so hands under my belt at 1/2 I'm telling you it is not a rock garden.

KO