Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 01:38 PM

Default I hate this, playing defense with AA

Different 30/60 game. Decent enough but not great game.

I open raise UTG+1 with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], nut job in the CO calls as does the SB. 3 to the flop.

Flop is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, I bet, nut job raises (I decide to 3 bet if the SB folds and call planning to c/r the turn if the SB calls, the SB calls, so I just call.

Turn is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

checked to nut job who bets, SB now c/r's, now what?
Old 08-29-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: I hate this, playing defense with AA

I see Mr. Nutter having a nine, while SB's flop coldcall/turn check raise says to me minimum set, maybe a straight.

Trying to get confidence in my reads and would love to know what everyone has.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:43 PM

Is the sb decent? If so I like 3 betting here.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:44 PM

Any kind of read on SB?

Swede
Old 08-29-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see Mr. Nutter having a nine, while SB's flop coldcall/turn check raise says to me minimum set, maybe a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has a set or better why is he trying to force the third guy (hero) out of the hand? There is no hand hero can have that is folding that a set or straight would fear.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:47 PM

I don't have very much experience with the SB. I guess he/she qualifies as a little LA PF, but settles down a little after the flop.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:49 PM

The way the SB played this hand petrifies me, i would seriously consider mucking. Obviously this might sound results oriented, but this is why i like to 3 bet the flop. You usually have the best hand and get extra value out of it, and it makes some decisions on later streets easier if you get played back at by a decent player.

Gabe
Old 08-29-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the sb decent? If so I like 3 betting here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to make my reasoning clear, since so many people are fearing the sb here someone is probably way off, and it is likely me:

The most likely scenario in my mind is sb has something like TPGK - TPTK or an overpair. He sees villain bet and call then check the turn. This looks a lot like overcards to sb, who probably correctly feels like he is ahead of button's range, so he raises to knock hero out and get nut job to put in an extra bet behind.

Were I hero, I would be more worried about the button if sb is a thinking player, but more worried here is still not very worried. Raising will force button out a lot of times and probably get a crying call from sb. I would probably also bet the river if checked to depending on what came off in this scenario.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:20 PM

I think fnord_too is on the money here. The whole hand hinges on whether SB thinks hero has overcards and is capable of trying to force him out. I think this is pretty reasonable to expect some portion of the time. Combine this with the slim chance that SB has a draw or we have outs against two pair and I think folding is a mistake.

I have a hard time telling which is better - raising or calling - but I lean towards the 3-bet from a sheer marbles standpoint. However I'm not married to it.

NT
Old 08-29-2005, 02:22 PM

Tough spot. I think your best play is to call. SB presumably also knows that nut job is a nut job, so he could be making a play at you.