Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Strategy for Major WPT/WSOP tournaments

I am playing at the Bike tomorrow. I got lucky and qualified into their 5000 WPT event. I saw their blind structure, its ridicilously slow compared to my usual online play. You start with 10000 chips, and the blinds will be 25/50, 50/100, 75/150,100/200 for the first 6 hours.

Basically whats the typical strategy with these major tourney blinds? Should I see a lot of flops with suited connectors or should I just sit back and wait till the blinds force me into action? What strategies have you employed or which ones that you've seen the pros employ?

Good luck to all in the legends today and tomorrow
Old 08-27-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Strategy for Major WPT/WSOP tournaments

First of all, 6 hours live means the same number of hands as 3 hours online.

I would see a lot of flops with suited connectors if you are not being raised out of the pot, particularly if there are some loose fish Internet types at your table.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:56 PM

Given the blind structure, you can't go all in preflop without AA at the first or second levels, which you might not do anyway. Yes, lay down KK.

The early game should be treated much more like a cash game than the tournament play with which you're familiar.

If you haven't, grab Caro's book of Poker Tells, especially if you're played very little live.

Learn the rules. Unless you verbally declare otherwise, a single big chip counts as a call, not a raise. You can solve this problem by say betting 1025 at an early level instead of 1000. 2 chips counts as a raise unless they don't cover the amount of the minimum raise.

Most players, especially ones without much experience play quite conservatively early on in a big tournament. This case was particularly true with the WSOP main event. Try to find out how people qualified. You can try playing aggressively to defy expectations, but it does require more experience and better judgement.

Most pros try to win a number of small pots and keep the pots small at these early levels.

I like playing hands with high implied values for cheap more than pushing big cards early on.

Watch out for the more amateur play early on. Some players will likely shock you with their poor play. Pay attention and try to take advantage.

Silvester Suzuki's book has great general tournament advice and is a quick read. I highly recommend it as well.

In live play, I've found play is generally tighter and more fundamentally sound and that there is less bluffing and fancy moves.

Good luck. Let us know how it went.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:11 PM

wait, we need a strategy? XXXX!!!
Old 08-27-2005, 05:53 PM

Everyone should play the 20+1 WCOOP test at 18:15 ET. You start with 5000 chips with 30 minute levels. Just like the WPT, hopefully I'll learn something from this