Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Index?
Standard Index 51 82.26%
Jumbo Index 9 14.52%
Magnum Index 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2005, 03:35 PM

Default AQs on button versus 3-limpers

This is a hypothetical question based on a real hand that I posted on the MTT forum - because I want to get the opinions of the cash game players who are used to dealing with deep stacks.

Here's the scenario: you are playing a $5/10 NL cash game and 3 players limp in front of you. You have AQs on the button. Everybody has $600 in front of them (not real deep for a 5/10 game). What is your line?
Old 08-26-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: AQs on button versus 3-limpers

Bet hard and narrow the field. Not the same play I'd make on the first level of a tournament where it's a common tactic to try and double up or bust early.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:47 PM

Default What\'s the difference?

You bring up a good point. For those of you who play both MTTs and cash games - what are some of the strategic differences (if any) between a MTT with deep stacks of say 100BBs (typically first level only) and a cash game with 100BB?
Old 08-26-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: AQs on button versus 3-limpers

You should be raising a lot of hands from the button, and you should be raising the same amount, adjusted by the # of limpers, no matter what your hand (raise AQs the same amount as 76s).

40 + 10/limper makes it 70, which is a decent number.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: What\'s the difference?

[ QUOTE ]
You bring up a good point. For those of you who play both MTTs and cash games - what are some of the strategic differences (if any) between a MTT with deep stacks of say 100BBs (typically first level only) and a cash game with 100BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'd say one big difference is pushing razor thin edges. Basically, don't do it in a tourney and do it in a cash game because you can reload. Also, if you were in a situation in a tourney where you were moving tables soon, you wouldn't want to invest in "advertising" plays that might have -EV. These examples are pretty basic, I'm sure others can elaborate more.

JKratzer
Old 08-26-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: What\'s the difference?

You bring up some good points. But regarding the razor thin edges - should I care if I bust out of a MTT if there is another starting in 10 minutes (as long as I know the play is at least marginally +EV)?