Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 11:29 AM

Default 88 UTG late in a tounrey

So I thought I played this hand pretty well but I could be way off, and I'm looking for opinions. This is the 25K garunteed on stars and theres about 100 people left. Avg stack is around 60K and I have 110K. I just got switched tables and have only been at this one for a couple of hands. The blinds are 1500/3000. I get dealt two red 8's UTG and bump it to 9000. Only CO and the button call.

The flop comes Q 9 4 rainbow. I lead out for 12,000. CO folds and button calls, stack about 70K. Comments on flop?

The turn comes a Q, so I want to see how button reacts so I check. He bets 15K immediatley, so at this point I know he doesn't have a Q and I believe he has a 9 or some other lower pocket pair, so I think he can be pushed off. Heres where my mistake is I think, I minraise to 30K trying to show strength? This is where I think I shoudve pushed to make this call real difficult for him.

He calls and has about 26K left. The river comes a low blank. I think for about 5 seconds and than push the rest. He takes a long while and finally calls.????
Old 08-26-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: 88 UTG late in a tounrey

Preflop, I might limp or fold 88 UTG unless you have a good chence to take the blinds. You say you only got 2 callers. If you are expecting callers, don't raise.

The flop came with 2 overcards. Q and 9 are better than A and K, but I figure you are pretty well beaten. Someone has a Q or a 9, or TT or JJ.

You bet 3/8 of pot OOP. Check or make a real bet at the flop. I would check/fold here, but maybe I'm weak/tight.

You minicheckraise on the turn. That may represent trips, but it is hard for someone with a pair higher than 8s to fold to the tiny bet. You figure you are behind at this point, so fold or checkraise allin. If you think you may be ahead, you can all the small bet.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop, I might limp or fold 88 UTG unless you have a good chence to take the blinds. You say you only got 2 callers. If you are expecting callers, don't raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

hero just got to the table. 9-handed utg with antes and a big stack, i'm raising 88 every time.

i'd say op's play is fine if he check-folds the turn.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

hero just got to the table. 9-handed utg with antes and a big stack, i'm raising 88 every time.

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact that he just got to the table is a reason not to raise, he's going to get involved in a pot with no reads.
After 2 callers I would checkfold that flop.