Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 09:35 AM

Default crap turns into riches, then turns back into crap 5-10 6max

I've been playing a laggy style preflop but not getting too out of line postflop.

5-handed

I'm UTG w/ 2.5k and A3s. I decide to raise to $35. Loose monkey w/ 1.5k calls. SB's 2nd hand but I have some notes on him raises $70 more. If I call, I know loose monkey will also call. My notes on SB include his reraises = AK or better - but if he has AA or KK, he usually reraises more from OOP, so he probably has AK or 99-QQ. For some reason, I decide to call in a big pot and see if I can flop something (he wasn't deep enough for this i think - oh well). Loose monkey also calls (loose monkey becomes tight postflop though).

Flop ($320). A23r. SB thinks for a while and bets the pot, he has $320, Hero...

Well, I put him squarly on AK or an underpair, so I call. Loosey folds. SB now has a little over $600 left.

Turn ($960). K. [censored]! He bets out $370. Why didn't I raise the flop [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Re: crap turns into riches, then turns back into crap 5-10 6max

This looks like simple greed, which ain't too shabby. When you raise the flop he could still get away, Not likely, but possible. He's only got three outs so if you call the flop you get him pot committed on his turn bet. Your approx. 7-1 favorite and when he hits you get away. The other 7 times you get his stack. Looks solid to me.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:26 AM

Default CORRECTION - SB had ~$600ish after the flop bet...

as the title says...
Old 08-26-2005, 11:57 AM

How do you get on opening in EP with suited aces? Ax makes me want to vomit so i tend to fold, id rather open with Kx because people often fold Ax to raises so you can represent A and now you have twice the outs. Downside to this is when flop comes A-high anyone especially observant has a high % of restealing my continuation bets. Do you open with this hand occasionally to gain f/e on A high flops in future? Or do you think its a profit maker oop on its own? Or other image play perhaps?
Old 08-26-2005, 12:06 PM

This really depends on game texture for me.

If the game is very passive 6max, then I'll limp in w/ Axs everytime and probably fold to a decent sized raise.

If the game is aggressive I'll usually just fold these from early position, but once in a while I like to put in an early raise with hands like this, especially if everyone's afraid of me. Really can depend on what gear I am in and what others think. In this case it was probably a bad play because I had been in high gear for a while and people could expect this type of hand from me. This also covers my early raises in a short-handed game. I guess that means it's mainly a metagame play...

Unfortunately for me, I got to show this hand down as I didn't have the discipline to fold the turn for some reason. Didn't play too well last night I'll be first to admit. I made the money back though when I made the same raise a little later w/ KK, got called by 88. When I continuation bet the J73r board, the guy pushed in for an overbet which I happily called. Of course, an 8 hit the turn but then a K hit the river!
Old 08-26-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: CORRECTION - SB had ~$600ish after the flop bet...

Most people wont get away from AK here at any point this shallow, so I just cr all in on the flop so nothing comes to kill my action. Something I've been doing more with great success is leading this flop, because it's more important to maximize your value versus worse made hands then it is to pick up a continuation bet. If you lead and he raises this is ABC.
-Jason
Old 08-26-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: CORRECTION - SB had ~$600ish after the flop bet...

Villain was in the SB so I had position - but I generally agree with what you are saying. The real reason I called was in case he DIDn't have AK and he may have donked off some money later - probably not though. Also this way, if a K comes, I could get away [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]