Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 04:56 PM

Default When Does Peyton Become an Option?

Getting ready for my oldest Fantasy League this weekend. This is the 10th edition of this league. There are 6 guys who have been in the league for all 10 years. 4pts for a passing TD, 6 for Rec/Rush TD, 1 point for every 10 yards rec/rush, 1 point for every rec, 1 point for every 25 yards pass, 1 point for every 5 comp. QB,2RB,2WR,TE,K,DEF

With LT, Alexander, Holmes and Edge filling up my top four would it be a bad idea to pick Peyton Manning with the fifth pick?

I've been thinking that I want my first three rounds to be all running backs. If I can get 3 of the top 15 RB I can skirt some injuries, byes and bad play (maybe get a good trade if all three stud up) and I think there are enough WR and QBs to fill in nicely in the next three rounds.

But the allure of Manning still exists. If I draft Jamal Lewis with the fifth pick come back and get a Jones (Julius or Kevin) and take Lamont Jordan or Steven Jackson in the third, I feel like I would be stacked at RB.

If I take Manning with that pick I still get a Jones and Jordan or Jackson. The problem is I'll be filling that third RB with Thomas Jones or JJ Arrington.

I have some numbers to run on these scenarios. But I'd like to get a general feel first.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: When Does Peyton Become an Option?

I would probably lean toward Duece and then go for T. Green in the 5th round or Plummer in the 6-7.

Of course there is news that Benson has sold back his house and moved his two cars back to Texas so Tom Jones might be a viable 3rd back that you could probably land in the 5-6th.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:06 PM

I have the first pick in my draft Saturday, so my mind is already made up. But if I had the second pick, I would have to give serious consideration to taking Manning there over Holmes. And if I were third or below, I'd most likely be taking Manning with any of those picks. In my estimation there's a much bigger drop off between Manning and whatever QB you'd get in the third or fourth rounds than there would be between Alexander/James and whatever RB you can snag in the second and/or third round. I think it's right to focus on getting good runnign backs -- let's face it, good running backs win these things, right? But if it's about production, Manning out-produced most of the running backs in the NFL last year, if not all. My league happens to have almost an identical scoring system as yours, and I believe he was the top scorer in our league in '04.

If LT is the consensus #1 in most leagues, Manning has to be up there as well.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course there is news that Benson has sold back his house and moved his two cars back to Texas so Tom Jones might be a viable 3rd back that you could probably land in the 5-6th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Benson was at Halas Hall today and met face-to-face with Bears GM Jerry Angelo. What that means, I don't know.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my estimation there's a much bigger drop off between Manning and whatever QB you'd get in the third or fourth rounds than there would be between Alexander/James and whatever RB you can snag in the second and/or third round.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just reading a very interesting article on this on Footballoutsiders.com
Old 08-25-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Benson was at Halas Hall today and met face-to-face with Bears GM Jerry Angelo. What that means, I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hadn't heard this I picked up Tom Jones late for one of my teams so I am hoping Benson keeps this up.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:40 PM

Not to hijak my own post, but being a Bears fan what the hey. Benson will have to eventually sign. It is not possible he will want to go into the draft next year with a new CBA that could have rookie slots and then there is no way that a team is going to take him earlier than the first round. So he will be losing MUCH more than just the difference between $18 million and the $17 million the Bears are offering.

Jones was always starting for the Bears. I don't think there was ever going to be a time where Benson would be getting enough carries to be a viable fantasy option. Even if he got into camp early and was a stud he would have been splitting carries.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hadn't heard this I picked up Tom Jones late for one of my teams so I am hoping Benson keeps this up.

[/ QUOTE ]
As a life-long Bears fan, I hope he ends this foolishness quickly. That said, I still think Jones is a decent sleeper. Benson will see little or no camp before the season opens, so it will be a while before he sees the field.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to hijak my own post, but being a Bears fan what the hey. Benson will have to eventually sign. It is not possible he will want to go into the draft next year with a new CBA that could have rookie slots and then there is no way that a team is going to take him earlier than the first round. So he will be losing MUCH more than just the difference between $18 million and the $17 million the Bears are offering.

Jones was always starting for the Bears. I don't think there was ever going to be a time where Benson would be getting enough carries to be a viable fantasy option. Even if he got into camp early and was a stud he would have been splitting carries.

[/ QUOTE ]
I strongly disagree with this statement -- if Benson is in camp on day one -- or even a week into camp -- he's the #1 guy, carrying the load.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if it's about production, Manning out-produced most of the running backs in the NFL last year, if not all. My league happens to have almost an identical scoring system as yours, and I believe he was the top scorer in our league in '04.

[/ QUOTE ]
Peyton having a career year averaged 28.9 points per week

LT injured and having the worst year of his career averaged 20.7

And in Priest Holmes's 7 1/2 games he averaged 28.1 That guy is an absolute Fantasy ANIMAL when he is healthy.