Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 11:39 PM

Default The Good, The Bad...The Ugly? (8/24)

Hey guys. I've been pouring through some old hands lately, trying to figure out what's responsible for my 3-month long breakeven streak. I think I've figured out the primary culprit--I just suck at 6max. But that doesn't mean I'm playing so great in full ring, either, so I wanted to try something a little different.

I'm going to try posting two hands from each night that I play a decent-sized session (at least a couple hours). One will be a hand that I think I played well, the other will be a hand that I think I botched pretty badly. I won't say which is which each night (although I'd hope it will be obvious [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), and I won't comment in the OP other than to give pertinent reads. I would appreciate any and all comments & discussion about the hands, of course, because even when I take out my 6max hands during the streak I'm still seeing a fairly significant drop in my former win rate. And god knows I have a lot to learn about poker anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If this is a stupid idea & you'd rather I just stopped doing it, let me know that, too--while I'd like to improve my game, I don't want to do it at the expense of pissing a bunch of people off with near-nightly posts. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hand 1

Reads: I don't have many firm reads, except that the table in general sucks at poker. Over about 2 orbits, UTG+1 is playing 3/4ths of his hands and raising liberally preflop. MP3 is "only" playing half his hands, but I haven't seen him raise preflop yet. SB has looked just as bad, but he's still finishing up his first orbit at the table. I don't have more than 20 hands on any of them when this hand is dealt. I've been playing very tight & straightforward, but I seriously doubt if any of these guys would notice over 100 hands, let alone 20.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (21 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB calls, UTG folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (13.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, SB calls, Hero folds....

__________________________________________________ ______

Hand 2

Reads: I'd been at this table a little longer than the one in the first hand, and again had been playing ABC TAG. I had nothing on CO in my database, but the screenname seemed familiar which led me to believe I'd played a hundred or more hands against him before my computer crash. If that's true and he's not on my buddy list (which he isn't), he's probably TAG.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (12.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 16.25 BB, between CO and Hero.</font>
Old 08-24-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: The Good, The Bad...The Ugly? (8/24)

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys. I've been pouring through some old hands lately, trying to figure out what's responsible for my 3-month long breakeven streak.

[/ QUOTE ]

how many hands are we talking about?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how many hands are we talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only about 25k. I average 10k-12k/month normally, but I've been busy lately (and missed a week between computers). [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 12:02 AM

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that #1 is the good one.

As for number 2, I would c/c the turn and river.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:08 AM

Harv,

Hand 1 I think dwas well played. By the turn you probably aren't beating many hands that MP3 will cold cap with and thus a fold is good.

Hand 2 is boardline spewing IMO. While there is no way I'm folding this hand at any point I think you let too many bets go in on the big streets.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:09 AM

I'd play hand 1 the same.

In hand 2 I'd either check/call the turn and river or bet/fold the turn. Seems like you're way behind enough of the time that I'd just fold to the turn raise the way you played it. I have no idea why you bet/called the river.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:19 AM

Hand 1: good turn fold.
Hand 2: needs a good turn fold.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:24 AM

Hand 1: I think you played it correctly.

Hand 2: So CO cold calls 2-bets and then goes bananas after the flop on a somewhat tame board. I think you are probably looking at a set here - although he may have capped his non-nut flush draw here (maybe he has something like 76s or 43s and was capping a straight/flush draw?).

In any event, I check-call the turn and river (this assumes that we are playing against a TAG).

Keep in mind that I am horribly weak-tight...I would be interested to see what some of the more aggressive players (oreo, sfer, etc) say about the second hand.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:26 AM

I think you got a bit frustrated in hand 2.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:36 AM

I think hand 2 is a fold on the turn. Your stop n go did not scare him.

I'm thinking he made his flush already had or 2pair/set