Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Playing with a big draw?

10/20 Live game at Potawatomi.

Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Callers are mostly loose, and of average aggression (say a 50% VPIP and 4% PFR).

UTG folds. Hero calls. UTG+2 calls. MP1 calls. MP2 calls. MP3 raises. CO folds. Button folds. Blinds call. All limpers call.

Flop is J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. (14 SB)

Blinds check. Hero bets. UTG+2 calls. MP1 folds. MP2 raises. All fold to Hero. Hero calls. UTG+2 calls.

Turn is 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (10 BB)

Hero checks. UTG+2 checks. MP2 bets. Hero calls. UTG+2 folds.

River is 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (12 BB)

Hero ???

Should I have reraised on the flop, scaring away UTG+2? Should I bluff on this river? Any other ideas?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Playing with a big draw?

Put as many bets as possible in on the flop. You are most likely a favorite to win the pot so are making money on every bet that goes in, more so if it is multi-handed. Plus you are representing a big hand, and always have the chance of getting a made hand, (weak jack,etc.) to fold. I would lead the turn, if raised, i would assume someone had a strong hand and c/f the river UI. If just called on turn I would bet the river UI in hopes of getting someone to lay down maybe kq or ace high flush draw.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:00 PM

I don't really see any value in 3-betting this flop. You're out of position, so you're unlikely to get a free card out of your raise. I don't think there are any hands we're real afraid that UTG+2 might have, so raising and facing him with 2 cold isn't helpful (i guess it could clean up your Q outs if a Q and then an A/K comes, but this is a pretty specific series of events).

MP2 has shown aggression on every street since the flop. Do you really think he's folding for one bet on the river? I'm pretty confident that your Q-high is no good in a showdown here. Just check/fold.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:09 PM

The way the hand was played I would obviously c/f the river. I personally like to play these super draws really agressively, and I would put as many bets as possible in on the flop for value especially if UTG+1 cold calls, and and as an added bonus it will help us to define MP2's hand, and give us the small chance of folding him out if he is also on some kind of draw or overcards. The way the hand was played we have no idea what MP2 has, he raised the flop, which could mean anything, and then bet when checked to on the turn. I would throw up in my mouth if the river went c/c and he tabled a king or ace high flush draw, or a smaller pair that we could have folded out.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:14 PM

I cap the flop if possible. What is the cap? 5 bets? I'd do it.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really see any value in 3-betting this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? You have a 50% chance to make what's most likely going to be the best hand by the river.

Ram and Jam this sucker until the river...

...then quietly fold into the night
Old 08-24-2005, 06:26 PM

If you're not played back on the turn, I think you have to bet the river. Pot will be pretty big at that point and you've been showing so much agression you just might fold a better hand (Ax [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Kx [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], maybe even another q10).
Old 08-24-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding? You have a 50% chance to make what's most likely going to be the best hand by the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...yeah, i was kidding. That's it... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was clearly too worried about "scaring off customers" for the megadraw. I now see that that was the wrong attitude.

I also don't put MP2 on a draw here, since he raises into the preflop raiser. I think a J is more likely (and he's trying to get the PFR to help protect his hand). I guess we don't really know, though, since we didn't 3-bet the flop.

Anyway, i blame my crappy advice on the terrific downswing i'm having right now, and also my newbieness and general suckiness at poker.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:41 PM

You're a huge favorite on the flop. Put in as many bets as traffic will bear. Anyone who folds increases your chances of winning by spiking a Q. You're going to be good here around 45% of the time and you've got 6 (?) others in the pot. This is a classic example of a big draw from SSHE.

You played this way too passively. You own this hand.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You played this way too passively. You own this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]