Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 12:44 PM

Default PLO Satellite FT Question

I wanted to post this hand in both the PLO forum and here in MTT to get different views on this situation. I know most of the questions here surround No Limit Hold'Em, but I'm hoping that you MTT mavens can wrap thier minds around this position and use general tournament strategies to help me out here.

PLO Satellite: 1-5 get seat, rest get 3 rebuys back. 8 remaining. I am currently 4th in chips with about 24K. blinds have just changed to 400/800 with no antes. Biggest stack on the table is about 34K. Smallest stack is 3K.

UTG player limps to MP player who raises to 2800 (slightly less than pot). Folded around to me on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]...

Quick notes on the players involved. UTG is a tight player who has joined the FT two orbits ago. I have not seen him play many pots and have no reads on his competency or his hand selection. MP3 is an aggressive player who I can tell (also within two orbits) knows what he is doing in both PLO and Tournaments. Hero is competent at PLO, but is not as stong as he would like to be post-flop, he has also been playing rather tight since the FT. Both of these players have me covered.

So my question to you MTT experts is this...

What's my line? How should the dynamics of pot limit bets change my approach to this hand? How much do end game satellite principles play a factor in this hand?
Old 08-24-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: PLO Satellite FT Question

well i am clearly an expert in tourney PLO since i jst final tabled yesterday in a rebuy.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

anywho, i repot this hand. u have a good stack and a very strong hand and u want to get it heads up. in satellite tourneys, i like to get aggressive since people will most likely be playin a little scared tryin to get the seat.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:50 PM

I'm not a PLO player per se, but your stack is large enough in order to see a flop and still get out without taking a big hit. At this stage against a big raiser (who you have position on, too) with a big stack, you have a lot of implied odds since by the river you probably can both be pushing with made hands. You have a very strong hand and if you hit at all you are probably in good shape. Your stack is still good enough to accumulate chips, but not good enough to sit back and try to ride out to the seat.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:50 PM

because of your read on villains post-flop play I would probably flat call and see what develops from there. try to outplay him post-flop. you've got a real nice hand, but you're probably gona need to improve over those kings.

edit: Ooops, i misread. HERO is not as great post-flop. hmm. well i stil call and see a flop. if you get a big draw you can push it hard, if you whiff you can let go of kings easily
Old 08-24-2005, 12:55 PM

i think calling is too weak here. MP is an aggressive player and could be raising with a wide range of hands here and our hand is very strong. we have the kings and a boatload of draws to improve. and a repot can take the hand down right now which is a decent sized pot and could allow us to have a big enough stack to fold into the seat.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:06 PM

I edited the post here to include an important piece of info. Both players have me covered.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:49 PM

i still repot this. this is a monster hand in this spot.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:15 PM

gotta know all the stack sizes. if there are stacks of 3k, 3.1k, ..., 3.4k, this is an easy fold.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a PLO player per se, but your stack is large enough in order to see a flop and still get out without taking a big hit. At this stage against a big raiser (who you have position on, too) with a big stack, you have a lot of implied odds since by the river you probably can both be pushing with made hands. You have a very strong hand and if you hit at all you are probably in good shape. Your stack is still good enough to accumulate chips, but not good enough to sit back and try to ride out to the seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of flop would you fold when bet into with this hand? 2-2-2? 3-4-5? 7-8-9? 10-5-2?

The only way our hero is behind here is against rockets. Otherwise hero's hand is very strong. But it becomes much more difficult to play this hand post-flop, and without specific reads on what villian will do when he misses the flop versus hitting it hard, then we will have our work cut out for us post flop, regardless of whether we are really ahead or not.

I pot this every time, unless the other stacks lower than you are super tiny and about to bust. You have a deep stack and one of the top 5 or so hands in Omaha.

Hope it worked out.

Brad
Old 08-24-2005, 03:35 PM

If they both have you covered and you don't trust your postflop play, folding is better than repotting. Calling is the worst option, because you'll be laying odds for the SB, BB and UTG to see the flop.

At this point you don't care where the chips go as long as they aren't going to the small stacks, and you've got chips to see at least 5 more rotations. If the small stacks are to the left of the current raiser, he might just be collecting chips to bully them with.

If you think they'll let it go more than call AND you are capable of letting this go if it's potted back at you, then raising makes sense.