Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Very interesting hand (with reads)

Villain had pushed pre-flop 2 times in the last 11 hands (he was a short stack before this point). One of the pushes before this pre-flop raise was also from UTG. On two out of the 11 hands, he raised ~5 x BB pre-flop. This was the only hand shown down over that 11 hand stretch that included 2 raises and 2 pushes:

Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 6: HERO ( $945 )
Seat 1: zgnilek ( $2411 )
Seat 9: icall2river ( $620 )
Seat 10: nickers1 ( $1699 )
Seat 5: tuugrumpy ( $2325 )

Blinds(25/50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ 5h 6s ]
icall2river raises [275].
nickers1 folds.
zgnilek folds.
tuugrumpy is all-In [2300]
HERO folds.
icall2river is all-In [345]
** Dealing Flop ** [ 6d, 2s, Tc ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ Qc ]
** Dealing River ** [ 7d ]
icall2river shows [ Ts, Kh ] a pair of tens.
tuugrumpy shows [ Ac, Js ] high card ace.

The hand prior to my hand below (the 4th raise out of the 11), villain raised to t275 from UTG+1 and was not called. So this hand was his 5th pre-flop raise in the last 12 hands:

Total number of players : 5
Seat 6: HERO ( $995 )
Seat 1: zgnilek ( $2236 )
Seat 9: icall2river ( $1290 )
Seat 10: nickers1 ( $1824 )
Seat 5: tuugrumpy ( $1655 )

Blinds(25/50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ 8c 8h ]
icall2river raises [250].
nickers1 folds.
zgnilek folds.
tuugrumpy folds.
HERO.......

With the past 11 hands as background, what is your play?

Push, fold, stop-n-go? And why? I think that this is an extremely interesting spot, and I'd like to get some discussion going...
Old 08-24-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Very interesting hand (with reads)

Interesting situation. I push, though I can see arguments otherwise. But yeah, I push, and here's why. This guy wants to build a stack / is hyper aggro / whatever. He is going to make your life miserable if you get to the bubble and he has a big stack - he's going to push when you're in the blinds, and acting behind you he's going to call with such a huge range (I'm guessing based on the K 10 hand) that it's going to make it harder for you to push. I like to be the boss of the bubble and be the first one in where I can, and this gives you at least a decent shot at taking 1st IMO. The counterargument is that the blinds are admittedly still small here, and you could get away with folding and waiting for a better spot. Anyway, it's close but I push here and would be interested in others' responses.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:35 AM

I push. Hero will call your stop & go and a push gets BB out for sure.

I can't imagine folding since you may have the dude dominated (AXs or a smaller pair) and even if you don't, it seems to me that you need to take the good doubling up opportunities when you have them.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:37 AM

I like the stop-n-go.
He has already shown he'll call PF with crap like KT and presumably he probably has a coinflip situation here. Take the turn and river away from him (unless an 8 falls of course).
Old 08-24-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take the turn and river away from him

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you'll think he'll call the flop push with 2 overs and maybe even with just 1?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:48 AM

It is my experience that players that over agro on hands like KT do not play big pairs the same way. If others disagree then by all means I could be wrong here.

Of course he may know that I know that.
and
If I know that he knows that I know then I can assume he has AA.
If I dont know that he knows that I know that....
then
I dont know.
Sorry I couldnt resist...

I think it is close. So whatever you do I don't see it being detrimental. Since it is guaronteed HU I think Push is better. I believe he would play 22-JJ this way and he wont hesitate to call with those hands. I think he would play AA-QQ different.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:09 PM

I'm going to shamelessly bump this thread one time before I post the results. Come on people, not every situation can be run through a computer program with an answer wrapped neatly in a bow.

What would you do here given the last 11 hands?
Old 08-24-2005, 12:12 PM

Push, fold, stop and go all depend on the blinds at this point. Very interesting hand thus far.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:39 PM

Well, I'm going to go against the grain here.

The blinds are still relatively low and it won't hurt you to take them. You're the low stack but not in critical danger. So, I say fold. Here's why...

Obviously, he's agressive - but given the one hand that was shown down, he's not suicidal either. I think in his mind, un-suited broadway cards (or perhaps even one broadway card) are good enough to raise with. That being the case, he could have something as small as JTo and you're only a slight favorite in what is a coin-flip situation.

In your situation, I'd like to have something stronger than a pair of 8's. I'd have to think he'd call if I went all in, and I don't like my chances vs. the large range of over cards he could have.

I don't think I'd even call here. If you miss the flop, your stack suffers and if there are any over cards on the flop you won't know where your at with this guy.

Fold and pick a better spot.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:32 PM

Given the reads I'd push, but I think it is close. Sure he called the last time - with odds - but if you push his odds are much less (though he'll probably call anyway, there's at least that chance). If this time he's woken up with a monster, oh well, but you have to play back at him sometime, and if you don't, someone else will. 88 is reasonable against his raising range which appears to be top 40% with his recent actions. I think it's close but I'd have had enough of him and decided this was the time to take him on. Just my style though, others may differ.