Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2003, 02:40 PM

Default AJ clubs in SB did I wimp out?

Hi everyone, ive been reading the forumns a while and this is my first post.

3/6 game online

Ive been dealt AcJc in the SB

UTG and solid player limp. I raise the SB thinking Im likely to be ahead of hands that are easier to call in CO. BB, UTG, CO call. Flop:

10s5h6h

No flush for me. I check my overcards. CO bets. I decided to checkraise to try and get a better read, and maybe knock out a flush draw. BB and UTG fold CO reraises.

I had decided ahead of time that if i was reraised I would fold. And one thing I find myself doing is justifying staying in too long even after decisions like this. This time I bit down hard and mucked. Did I wimp out?

What do you guys think?

-FA_man

Old 04-07-2003, 02:56 PM

Default Re: AJ clubs in SB did I wimp out?

Man, you've got fortitude.

I agree with the principle, but I think it's worth calling 1 sb in order to see the turn. Had this been the same situation on the turn and you're looking at 1 bb instead, I might have folded.

Just a thought. I suspect that your ability to follow through on your plan and exercising self-control will be an excellent quality for you in the long run.

EDIT: grammar correction
Old 04-07-2003, 03:17 PM

With your SB raise, someone puts you on big cards. The flop comes with no big cards except a ten. If I am betting into you, the only thing I am scared of is a premium pair or a set of tens.

Now you try a check raise on the flop. If you had the set, you would probably wait for the turn to check raise given the small number of players.

So now I fire a raise back to see if you even have the the over pair. You don't and fold.

Your check raise bluff might have worked on the turn if an over card came to make it look ligitimate.

It was simply a bad flop to try this play.

However, if he has top pair of tens, he is probably going to call you down.

Bluffing usually doesn't work well in low limit.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:33 PM

Your preflop play is highly debatable. I would just complete most of the time against LL players...

On the flop, I think you should call this 3-bet.

1. You are getting 13-1 on what could easily be a 6-outer

2. You could be in the lead against a draw that's looking for a free turn card
Old 04-07-2003, 07:10 PM

"maybe knock out a flush draw"

Where I play you'd have to shoot someone to get them to fold a flush draw. Don't worry about flush draws, they are calling anyway.

"Did I wimp out?"

No.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:46 PM

hi FA
a couple things here; first, the pre-flop raise. not good here. you want the BB in and you don't want to scare anyone out. also, you would like to see the flop cheaply. now the raise helps you when big cards flop, but so does an A or J on the flop, so it only makes sense to raise pre-flop when K or Q flop, and of course it's easy to put your opponent on those cards when you check and they bet, or when you bet and they raise. so representing the K or Q doesn't help a lot here.

but if you only call, and flop a 10 or 9 high flop, you can check-raise if your check-raise will get you heads up. but not if you raise pre-flop. and that's the second part here; your check-raise is not believeable because of your pre-flop raise. your being read for AK or AQ, and a single pair or draw will call all the way.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:01 PM

I agree with the others that AJs isn't very strong in the SB, but I don't think your raise was a big mistake. You very well might have had the best hand preflop. While I would generally limp with that hand up front, a raise is not bad.

Now you checkraised the flop and got reraised. I like the checkraise, and I like the fold. In this situation you are either a small favorite or a big underdog. While I take heed of the 13 to 1 call to see if you hit your pair, but I think a bet in this situation generally means you're beaten probably by two pair. If your opponent is on a flush draw, you should call him all the way until the flush appears. So even if you hit your ace or jack, you can be beat by the flush or two pair. If your opponent has top pair top kicker, than you only have three outs. I don't think you lose much by folding here.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:03 AM

Dude.. I disagree with everyone here about the preflop play. AJs is a seriously premium hand and you want to raise that puppy against a couple of limpers, even from the SB.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:54 PM

"Where I play you'd have to shoot someone to get them to fold a flush draw."

LOL... so true though... so true. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2003, 07:08 PM

Default For majorkong

I just read my first elysium post. I don't post as often as this guy. I don't post anything like this guy anyways. If I post, it is because of my amusement for our game and your amusement in addition! I will also never tell you that you are not welcome to raise with AcJc. I cannot understand what the problem is with rasing an Ase and Jack! If someone slow rolls over on me an Ace and Jack but did not raise it, I will liberally thank his for *not* raising upon me.