Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 03:14 AM

Default Bet the river with 44?

Villain is 50/13/1

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (4.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero??
Old 08-24-2005, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Bet the river with 44?

I check/call.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:47 AM

I'd probably check/fold..
Old 08-24-2005, 06:06 AM

villain is not particularly aggressive, i think that if you check the river it should be with the intention of folding...

there are practically no draws on the flop, except gutshots and most of those paired of came in...

on the river i think that if you bet it is a bluff, as there aren't any weaker hands that will call...
Old 08-24-2005, 07:02 AM

I personally feel you should have given this up immediately on the turn, because:

1. The pot is tiny

2. The flop isn't coordinated, meaning villain will generally have at least a pair.

3. While you have caught a redraw, I think there is very little fold equity in semi-bluffing here given that your opponent is loose passive and called on the ragged flop. (This may be debatable if villain has a low WTSD%, though I rarely encounter loose players with low WTSD%)

4. Continued on from the previous point, villain will not be holding a draw/overs/nothing enough times to make betting the turn for value correct.

5. I feel betting the turn also commits you to a showdown, meaning you have terrible reverse implied odds (2.5:2).

I think if the turn is checked through, you may be able to bet/fold or check/call the river depending on the opponent. Since the opponent is loose and somewhat passive a bet/fold line is probably better here, as he will call with more hands (ie. A high, pair of 3s) than he will bet with.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:30 AM

IMO this hand shouldnt be brought to river in this manner.
1. Before you choose your line give some thought to how your opponent percieves you.
Do u look thight, loose, have you been on a run, has he/they lost much to you, how many showdowns have u had and what did u show-get under their skin.
2. Although loose, a little optimistic preflopp and passive post flopp, his wtsd and w$sd is of interest, has he called down with strong hands, is he chasing everything, does he show strenght when proper etc. What did he raise with , how many hands is the stats based on etc

3. Try put him on a hand. He had a good opportunity to raise, and his stats suggests he likes to. Is his limp a sign of strenght ie he wants u in the pot, or does he always take long shots if presented the opportunity?

First I would have raised this preflopp if I had an image of a thigt player. Try get hu.

A lot of loose players like to peel( as do thight players) if it is not to expencive.
Looking at this flopp I would opt for a c/raise. Charging the most and maybe scare away, 2`nd pairs and overs. If it is checked trough a bet on the turn might accomplish the same since uou are charging/laying the same odds.

If u are called I would get suspiciouss-raise-happy-limp-in late-pos-who-is-passive-postflopp calling a raise should set of some bells. You can let go with more confidence and wait for better opportunities, making a mental note of his slowplaying tendencies.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:04 PM

The villain's wtsd%=42 and won $ at SD=50% these are in only 30 hand however. My mentality was that if he calls on the turn, then he has me beat and I check/fold the river. It doesn't seem like he would either call me with a worse hand or fold the river with a hand that he had called with on the turn.

I also had my gutshot for a long-shot redraw.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:10 PM

I routinely check-fold the turn on these hands.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:11 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

easy check for me. yes, i would call but i wouldn't like it.