Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Ace high out of position according Miller - deep thinkers challenge

I am the preflop raiser with AQo from ep and get 2 callers.
here are some typical flops which can come that will not improve my hand and assume i only get one caller (non lag and non calling station) on the FLOP and i do not improve on the turn :

#1)..K86 or J92 ..not all one suit : in this case miller says to bet the flop in hopes of winning right there. after i get one caller i have a decision to make on the turn. miller says with one face card and not a conected or suited board that my opponent will likely have a pair. so i am taking this to mean not to bet the turn and pick a better spot to fight. (also this is not a big pot)

#2)..a suited and coordinated board (even betting this flop is dangerous). cant really bet this turn either even if a safe card falls.

#3).. low cards (say T high) but not as dangerous as #2. in this case miller says that its better to have KQ than AQ because im less likely to be reverse dominated. also more ppl will call when low cards come because they will put me on overcards. they are also more likely to bluff with low cards on the board thinking (correctly i might add) that i will fold overcards.

so what board can i bet on the turn in this case with ace high (and since i miss my flop more than i hit this is a very important subject)??

the same could be asked if i have KQ btw.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Ace high out of position according Miller - deep thinkers challenge

bump
Old 08-24-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Ace high out of position according Miller - deep thinkers challen

It depends.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:39 PM

I'm a wuss, but I give up to turn on 95% of hands, there are better spots for my 1BB. Usually, they have paired (if they are not a calling station) and I check and fold (again not big pots, 4BB or so). I've actually been starting to check missed flops much more than I ever have, and I'm VERY surprised by the amount of free cards I get even out of position, and the times I bet the turn and they fold.

I think most people assume a pre-flop raise and flop check = slowplay.

hope any of that helps....
Old 08-24-2005, 01:48 PM

I think it depends on how likely I think my opponent is a peeler, and will fold the turn.

Will they call on the flop with one overcard?

How aggressive are they, and will they bet a hand much worse than mine?

What kind of hands do you think they coldcall with, and how good do you think your chances of being ahead are?

Why did they coldcall, and what part of the flop do you think made them call on the flop?

How have you been playing unimproved aces so far?

If you check, do you have a plan if your opponent bets?

What betting sequences have you used in this session, or against this opponent in the past, and what do they expect you to do here?

Have you developed a gut shot, or some other draw?

Could your opponent be on a draw, especially a gutshot, that they clearly had the odds to chase on the flop, but no longer will be able to chase on the turn, if they don't count their pair outs?

Similarly, would they be playing a worse ace, and will they pay you off if that is their holding?

If you know the answer to some of these questions, then your choice on the turn is a lot clearer.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:41 PM

Great post!
Old 08-24-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Ace high out of position according Miller - deep thinkers challen

You should think about the things taht Bob T. mentioned

In my opinion against 1 or 2 opponents you should bet the turn more than more people think. If you constantly give up on the turn, good players will call your flop bets a lot more.