Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 01:32 AM

Default The overbet in small stakes no limit holdem...

In a raised pot, a large overbet in small stakes hold em usually means...

hmm? i thought it would let me setup a poll after I hit submit. I set it to make a 2 question poll [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Anyway, I'd still like to hear what everyone has to say about this, I have been getting so screwed lately by calling these it isn't funny.

if you elaborate on this, tell me what you think an all in overbet generally means to you as well.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:51 AM

Default Re: The overbet in small stakes no limit holdem...

On the flop it usually means an overpair.

On the turn or river usually the nuts, but could still mean an overpair if everyone called the flop bet.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:40 PM

It often means :

a good draw on the flop.
Or an overpair.
Or two pair.
Or a set... Sometimes I'll check-raise with a set if the board is dangerous and there's several players still in.

Head to head, it could be a stop & go and they don't think you got any of the flop.

It can mean someone trying to buy the pot, representing a hand, but then again often someone is representing "desperation" and wants to be called.

Impossible to tell, really, for sure, if you're playing someone good who mixes up his play.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:07 PM

Most low limit players aren't very good. For a winning low limit player it usually means the nuts, for a maniac its probably a bluff, and for a fish its probably them overplaying their pair or whatever they have.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a raised pot, a large overbet in small stakes hold em usually means...

hmm? i thought it would let me setup a poll after I hit submit. I set it to make a 2 question poll [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Anyway, I'd still like to hear what everyone has to say about this, I have been getting so screwed lately by calling these it isn't funny.

if you elaborate on this, tell me what you think an all in overbet generally means to you as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

In any case, I think a functional rule of thumb is to assume it represents a strong hand. I used to lose a lot of money telling myself that unknown Villain would be sneakier if he was really made.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:01 PM

i vote the nuts.

everytime ive called an all-in overbet its been the nuts or close to it. as for just overbets like 2xpot i find that these are usually pretty strong made hands thinking that they r getting cute.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:20 PM

It usually ends up in a set or overpair. I used to try and think Im making a great call but most times end up loser.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:20 PM

player dependent as others mentioned on this thread but versus unknown players it is usually an easy fold unless you have a strong draw or currently hold a strong hand yourself. if you notice their frequency for making this play is abnormally high then you can relax your calling/raising standards accordingly.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:33 AM

All these responses bring up an important part of the poker repertoire which i am starting to realize more and more, is ESSENTIAL to learn/hone. The laydown.

Including in "the laydown" are pot odds for a laydown. Are you getting good pot odds to call? To laydown? Pot odds meaning through previous observation how many times has he/she bluffed? How many times has he/she overbet when appropriate? when inappropriate? Based on that you use that percentage to gauge how this call weighs on the amount of the pot. Sklansky mentions this in Theory of Poker.

I'm starting to realize more and more as I climb the limits...Hold'em, my friend, is a very difficult game.