Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Foxwoods 5-5: three-bet river bluff . . .

Foxwoods 5-5 game. Full table. I've been sitting for a couple of orbits, only showed down one hand, a flopped set vs. some guy's aces with which I took his stack. Villain is one of the better regulars in the game (Peter for those who play); he's tough and aggro and certainly capable of making big moves.

In the only pot I've played w/ villain thus far, I raised a straddler w/ AQo from MP, got two callers including villain on the button, potted a rag flop and got raised off the hand by villain. Don't know if he had a set, a pocket pair he thought was good, or just a read on me. I have ~$4k and villain covers.

Anyway, villain limps in EP. Three or so others come along. I tap in the SB w/ J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], BB taps.

($30) Flop is 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I lead for pot. Only villain calls.

($90) Turn is the 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I lead for $80. Villain calls quick.

($250) River is the Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet $150. Villain quickly and confidently announces, "$400 more."

I think for a minute and raise another $1,000.

Thoughts?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods 5-5: three-bet river bluff . . .

you sir have bigger balls then me
Old 08-23-2005, 10:19 PM

well you got a lot of outs on 6th if called. unless he has a full house, that is.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:21 PM

Hey man, you hit your OESD + FD on the river. Good semibluff.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:21 PM

If you're making this move doesn't it have to be a little bigger? Like 1200....
Old 08-23-2005, 10:23 PM

You think he's going to call 1K more with ace high?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:27 PM

lolz this hand poorly played all around. Only thing this villain is folding like missed A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or 45 or A5 or 77. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy has a boat, he surely isn't value raising with anything less than trips (and probably won't fold trips either). So it's he's thinking he's bluffing you or you have 0 folding equity.

Either way, this whole hand is poorly played imo, congrats if he folded, I doubt he's making a TOUGH fold on you though, as most people don't raise for value with plans on folding to a rr.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:34 PM

Wow. Uh, first, the standard I don't play this high or deep. But I love hands like this because they're genuine puzzles.

First, I wonder what Villain's hand range is in EP. Would he limp a suited ace from EP? How aggro has the game been?

A 3 looks unlikely - with the straight draws and flush draws, it seems like he'd raise somewhere in the hand. 99 also looks unlikely - would he really call the flop with that?

So this to me looks like busted hearts - Axh, 8xh, Qxh. Qxh looks more unlikely because it seems like he'd call the river on that. There's also the possibility that he flopped the underfull.

I like it. You're representing a full house - and anything he's raising with on this board, he's not calling the three-bet with - except a full house.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:41 AM

It's always tough to put peter on hands. I'm sure there is at least a reasonable possibility Peter is bluffing here. You're risking 1400 to win the 950 currently in the pot. One thing i can say for sure is Peter is not slowplaying trip 3's here so it's either a house or a stone cold bluff. I don't think this is a bad play at all especially considering his probable image of you.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:56 AM

QhJh?