Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 05:54 AM

Default I raised the oponents AA and lost

Late night $4-$8 MGM Grand in Las Vegas. I am a local playing a bunch of tourists and doing well. I have AK UTG + 1 and raise. Person to my left calls, the button calls, small blind reraises, big blind folds. Myself and the other two call. Flop comes AK3. Small blind checks, I check, and the guy to my left bets. Button folds, small blind raises, I reraise. Guy to my left calls and small blind reraises. I cap with the other two calling. Turn brings the beautiful K. I bet, guy to my left raises, small blind reraises. Turn is capped. River brings another 3. I bet, guy to my left raises, small blind reraises. River is capped. I gleefully show my AK, guy to my left shows K3 suited. Of course the small blind turns over AA. My thinking throughout the thing was the small blind and I were tied and taking the guy to my left on a ride. Where should I have determined I was beat?

Sherman
Old 08-23-2005, 05:56 AM

Default Re: I raised the oponents AA and lost

Added to favorites
Old 08-23-2005, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where should I have determined I was beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

When he check raised the flop. Unless the guy is very aggressive, his preflop/flop line means you're occasionally tied and usually badly beaten.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:17 AM

You shoulda bet the flop. Why would you check? I don't think I am slowing down anywhere here sometimes you lose alot of money with a very good second best hand. FWIW don't post results if you want to know if you played the hand correctly. Also since this was a live game and you had been in it for awhile you should be able to give us a better read on the two players involved. If the SB had not raised pre flop all night and was very passive then maybe I slow down after his check/3-bet on the turn but once again I already know he has aces so....
Old 08-23-2005, 09:22 AM

The SB 3-bet you preflop, and check raised flop with an A and K.

At that point, you must consider AA, KK, or AK.