Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Confusing hand

Villan is new to the table has been fairly agrressive so far. On the flop I felt as though it was very likely I would get check raised, but my hand was so vunerable I wanted to bet to protect it. Folding here seemed correct.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 4 handed) converter

UTG ($96)
Button ($141.49)
SB ($104.15)
Hero ($151.15)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $4.5</font>, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($10) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $18</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $37
Old 08-23-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Confusing hand

What are you protecting your hand from? A flush draw or the 6 outs that 2 overs would have? Protecting it from an overpair?!? You fear a c/r, and so you bet and then fold when he does what you anticipate. That makes no sense.

He completed the SB four handed, and then basically minraised you after you raised him. This is rather odd action. Is there some history there with villian, stealing and restealing?

If a c/r is on your mind, you don't have to bet $9 on the flop. Bet $5. Prices him out of draws, and if he min c/r's you, call and play poker. As played, your fold is weak IMO.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:21 AM

Villan had only been at the table for a bit when this hand occured, I had no previous experience with him. I watched him play for a while longer he went on quite the rush during that period it became very very obvious that his line for big hands was to limp re raise. In fact every hand that he normally would have opened with, he would limp with. It was an incredibly strange way of playing and it was not very successful for him.

The fear of a check raise was just a feeling I had. At that point I had absolutely no reason other than a hunch that he was going to do that. I think he had only been at the table for like 2 hands.

Why is folding this hand weak given what has occurred so far in the hand villan has shown a lot of strength, granted in his own extremely weird way, but to me most of his bets have appeared to be value bets more or less. Something just didn't smell right.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:45 AM

It's weak because you have an overpair to the board, and you anticipated villian's action. You felt he was going to c/r. Now, IMO this is alot of post-hand hindsight justification (you only played 2 hands with the guy, how could you reasonably know). But, if you felt so strongly about it at the table, why bet so big that you don't feel comfortable continuing with the hand after a mini-c/r? Bet $5, heck, check behind. I think you are good here alot more than you think. Maybe I was thrown by your whole 'protect my vulnerable hand' comment. You are really only vulnerable to a flush, which HU isn't that likely, and it's not like every other board we poker players play doesn't have a 2-flush on it. IMO, you are WA/WB here. Find out which and scoop a nice pot when you are WA, lose less when you are WB.

I'm rambling. G'nite. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]