Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 12:06 AM

Default 10-20 Stars, KK on the flop, what to do?????

Hi have been using the last month to catch up on a ton of archives. This is really my second post, and i would like to think that following the advice of certain regulars such as El Diablo/KaneKungfu/Yeti/M.Flynn/Limon and everyone that i have missed (sorry) has helped my game. I have played occasionally at the 10/20 game at stars and at party. Mostly at 5/10 and 3/6. Well this hand took place two weeks ago, and it was a biggie for me, wanna know what the consensus is. Any advice, from anyone here is always well taken and thanks in advance.
First time posting a hand from memory so please bear with me.
10/20 NL Pokerstars 9 handed
Button : Me ($6500) with KK black
SB : Solid TAG ($4500)
MP : very fishy LAG ($2000 or so)
everyone else folded [pre flop].

MP raises 80 to a 100.
I pop it to 300 straight on the button.
SB smooth calls.
MP calls.

Pot 920

Flop
2 2 2

SB pushes all in for $4200

MP folds

Me ??????????
Old 08-23-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: 10-20 Stars, KK on the flop, what to do?????

if you know a lot about his play and he is very solid I think you have to muck it.

The smooth call preflop and open push has to be AA IMO. With QQ-TT he would be very worried about being beat. Obviously we are not worried about quads.

But if this is your first session with this guy and he just seems solid so far, (or if say he is an unknown with TAG stats), then I think you can call and expect to be ahead enough of the time.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:44 AM

id put him on AA and fold.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:48 AM

he wouldn't reraise preflop with AA with more than 1 opponent, especially when one of the opponents is a fish?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he wouldn't reraise preflop with AA with more than 1 opponent, especially when one of the opponents is a fish?

[/ QUOTE ]

More important than this question is whether he would lead all in on 222 flop after only calling with AA.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More important than this question is whether he would lead all in on 222 flop after only calling with AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!!!!!
thats what im thinking, i mean if he has AA wouldnt he let me put my foot in my mouth first.
or conversely by pushing and lets say he puts me on KK or QQ, i guess he takes the initiative and i have to call, maybe i fold if he check raise my flop bet of 750ish, ALL IN.
Meta game situation here ---- although i try not to do it EVER, we had a few words earlier that were not friendly to say the least ----- so the "bust him" mentality is out there on both sides.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:15 AM

I call like a shot unless I have an opponent specific reason not to. If I lose, I say DAMMIT I SHOULD HAVE FOLDED HE OBVIOUSLY HAD AA. If I win, I say GREAT CALL BABY, PLAY YOUR GAME!
Old 08-23-2005, 02:35 AM

I called it, like a shot too, couldnt get my pointer on the call area fast enough. But believe it or not as the turn and river cards fell (both blanks), in those 4 secs or so the whole damn thing came clear in my mind. You see i never take more then 15 sec to make a decision in NL, its a flaw, probably a leak, and i should have thought this. Even El Diablo is right cause i ignore "anything player specific", and the rest are of course right too, i have a lot to learn here.
See i had logged mega sessions with the same guy twice before, enough for him to realise an area of predictability in my game, where i was repopping it usually with a high PP (J's or bttr) 90% of the time. Plus we were in a get each other mode already. So he knew i had a boat, he was hoping QQ or bttr, he took a shot trying to represent something like 88 or 99 to mislead and i called, meanwhile if i had thought for just half a minute i woulda realised i got $300 invested here thats all, no need to risk 4200 on a hand where there are only two possibilities KK or most likely AA........ just wait it out.
Lost a 9k pot.
Run the clock down next time.
Thanks for the responses, wanted to see if somebody was as trigger happy as me.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:51 AM

What would you have done had he led pot for 900? It is very hard to not go bust here, though I guess he did give you a chance. While it worked out for him this time, I don't think he played his hand well at all.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:10 AM

so what is he leading at it with then?

Obviously he could lead at this flop with all pairs, but leading at it for 200+ BB?