Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 03:33 PM

Default ABC-TAG play at higher limits

In most any 20-40 limit hold'em game, if you play a straight forward ABC-TAG game(nothing fancy, just tight aggressive and only occassional bluffs at the right moments), you will have a pretty decent win rate.

So I've been wondering...how would this plain vanilla strategy hold up in a 75-150 game or higher? Let's assume that the players you will be up against realize that you are playing this ABC-TAG game. Will you be able to make 0.5BB/hr? Will the opposition be so good that you will be taken advantage of too often because they know exactly how you play, and in effect, make your strategy a losing one? How about higher stakes no-limit ($25/$50 blinds)?

I'm guessing that in no-limit, you will be pushed around and eventually be a losing player unless you can adjust (which means you won't be playing an ABC-TAG game anymore), but in limit, there is only so much pushing around that can be done. Besides, at every level there are some fish that will pay you off.

Just as a clarification, I'm not at all thinking about moving up, I'm just trying to get an idea of how much "creative" play and adapting to game conditions really matters.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: ABC-TAG play at higher limits

Depends on how good your ABC game is. As I've gotten better things I would have considered "making plays" a few months ago become normal and part of my ABC game.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:58 PM

I do not play the 20, 40, 60, or 75 games around here, but I do play with a lot of the players waiting for a seat at their desired limit game at my game the 5-150 spread LHE.

IME, these players are constantly playing mind games and running (or at least trying to) some sort play on you. The higher they are playing in limits, the more I expect to see this and generally do see them try to bluff, trap, push around, play LAG trying to crack a big pair, etc, etc.

My bottom line is that if you are going to be a winning player at high(er) stakes poker, be it limit, pot limit or no limit, you have to be able to change your game up and change up the change ups, or you are toast in the long run.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:01 PM

You're better off asking this in mid/high stakes instead of here.