Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 08:54 AM

Default Moving from 1st to 2nd level thinking: a (probably dumb) question

Thanks to this forum, I can now hold my own at $25NL. But I don't think my thinking is advancing with the play.

Specifically, I know the general guidelines for aggression and probabilities, but it's all first-level thinking stuff. Make continuation bets if you're preflop aggressor, unless the pot is multiway. Charge potential draws, get them to make a Sklansky error. Play a smaller pot with your high PPs. Etc.

But to the experienced, this has to seem like a lazy imitation of playing real poker. It's the 2nd level I usually don't step through. "My opponent raised preflop from MP, so could be holding [ x, x, x ]; so given this flop and his lead bet, I can read him for [ x, x ]; so I should definitely [ raise, fold ]." I occasionally think this way, but it's definitely harder to do.

Apart from sheer determination to develop this thinking process, basically practice at the tables trying to consciously do it, do any of the more experienced out there have some words of wisdom for developing that second-level thinking quicker? Someone want to just call me a lazy bastard and tell me to concentrate more?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Moving from 1st to 2nd level thinking: a (probably dumb) question

Do you play full-ring?

I mostly play at 100NL - but now play 100NL 6-max most of the time. I find this has massively helped my hand reading skills, and in optimising the best line against a range of a villains possible holdings.

In 6 max, you are involved in more hands per orbit, you can observe your opponents more closely, and you can use position to its full effect.

If you already play 6max then I think you are a very lazy bastard and you need to focus more on your game.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ojo_Rojo
Old 08-22-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... you are a very lazy bastard and you need to focus more on your game.
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Very"? Now that's harsh.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good point, I play full ring exclusively, and I chose it so I could work on my ABC game. Maybe it's time to try 6-max again with a specific eye toward putting people on hand ranges. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:28 AM

developing your hand reading skills is key...pay attention to hands you aren't involved in and try to put villain on a hand. When you can get to where you know what both players in a hand have before the showdown you are there.....then you play based on that. I'll caution you that the easiest way to make money at these lower stakes is to simply wait for a hand though...you don't need to do a lot of bluffing etc to make money here...and can get in a lot of trouble if you aren't careful.