Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Trips UI L08

Started some bonus clearing and this hand came up early on. I really wasn't sure if I was ahead or not the whole time. When he raised the river, I really wanted to make a crying call, but I don't know many players that would make this raise on the river without a FH. Thoughts?

Party Poker (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, CO calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, <font color="red">MP1 raises</font>, Hero folds.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Trips UI L08

Sean - I agree the raise on the river looks like a full house.

You're out of position here. Position doesn't matter as much in limit-Omaha-8 as it does in Texas hold 'em or pot-limit-Omaha-8, but some times position does matter - and this is one of those times.

Since you have to act first on the river, what to do on the river depends on your opponent. Some opponents I face more or less automatically bet if I check to them. Others check with weak hands and bet strong hands. Others check regardless. (Whatever).

With this board, I would tentatively put an opponent who called a third round bet on an ace. At this point (after the turn) you probably both have trip aces, and you probably have the better kicker. But that's not for certain. Your opponent, rightly or wrongly, could be slow playing a full house or drawing for a straight or flush.

Then you miss on the river.

Assuming your opponent has the missing ace, I think when you miss on the river, your opponent actually becomes about a sixteen to nine favorite. (I have it 6381 to 3619).

(If we give your opponent an ace and three random cards (none of which are in your hand or on the board), your opponent will make a straight about one time in twenty, will tie you about one time in ten, and will have a full house about 53% of the time. By contrast, your own trips will tie about one time in ten and win about three times in ten.)

One could argue that your opponent, having not raised on a previous betting round, should not have a full house on a previous betting round, and thus needs specifically a hand with A-Q-X-Y. However, some opponents, recognizing that you might continue betting if they keep a low profile, would slow play a full house made on the flop or turn.

Bottom line: I like your bets on the second and third betting rounds, but I think your best play is to check/call on the fourth betting round.

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 08-22-2005, 10:46 PM

Pre-flop: Like the limp.

Flop: A high flush draw + trips, I like the bet.

Turn: Bet but now I am hoping for my opponent to fold.

River: Damn the opponent is still around and all you draws missed. If you bet and he has trips with a worse kicker he will flat call and you will win 1 bet. If you bet and he has been slow playing the boat it will cost you 2 bets. However if you check most of the time a bad low limit player will bet so you win 1 bet if you are ahead and lose 1 bet if you are behind. I also think that you are behind more then you are ahead here.

Bottom line unless your opponent is a total donk I think a check call on the river is the correct play.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:17 AM

If my opponent didnt have a full house, it was likely my hand was still good. I think he would call with a bare ace, but check behind if checked to. So I would miss a bet if I was still ahead. So I figured a bet/fold to raise would be better than a check/call, but I think it was close. Thanks for the comments. Still 800 hands to go to clear the bonus, so I'll probably post a couple more.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:25 AM

Given that I did bet the river, does anyone pay this off?
Old 08-23-2005, 05:18 PM

You are getting 9:1 so unless me opponent is a rock I would pay this off almost every time.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:22 PM

I would much rather use that 1BB to find out if my hand was good. It is possible (not very likely but still possible) that your opponent pushed you off a better hand. At this point in the hand the 1BB that you gain if he is playing an empty A is not nearly as important as the 6 already in the pot so I would check in order to get to showdown as cheaply as possible so I have a chance for that 6 bets.