Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 10:30 PM

Default My Dad\'s purpose for poker books

I thought this take was kind of interesting.
My Dad wants to read poker books....but doesn't want to play poker.

My Dad is a very knowledgeable investor/stock-trader and has done quite well. The guy watches CNBC and other finanicial networks for several hours a day for the past 10+ years as well as reading Wall St Journal..etc etc.
I don't know much about it because it bores me...but I know he really knows his stuff.

He only has a marginal interest in poker because it's what his son plays for a living.
He watches it on TV sometimes but is probably more interested in the personalities.
He's also seen numerous stories about it on CNBC and is familiar with the fact that there some really sharp mathematical minds excelling at the game (guys like Greenstein and Ferguson for example).

He's seen a number of newspaper articles online (which he forwards to me as well) comparing poker to investing or real-estate and what-not. He knows that Harrington has said that poker, investing, real-estate are all VERY similar.

My Dad doesn't really want to learn to play...card-games aren't that exciting to him I think (he used to play in a weekly Bridge group with my Mom but he never got into that much according to her).

So I was quite surprised when he asked me to loan him a couple of my beginners' poker-books on my recent visit to Florida last week.
I thought maybe that meant that his buddies were having an occasional home-game...or maybe he would like to get started on the penny-tables on poker-stars or something.

Nope.
He explained that he wants to further his understanding of poker just to broaden his horizons a bit because perhaps there are some nuggets of info in there that will translate towards his investing somehow.

I'm not sure what he's exactly looking for and I don't think he is either. He was just curious because he's seen some articles (like the McManus one's in the NY Times) on some of the in-depth quality poker-books out there (mostly 2+2 of course).

He thinks that the harrington books that he's heard about would be over his head although I'm not positive about that.

I brought him GSIH and WLLHE 3rd edition but this was when I thought he was in it to perhaps start playing penny-games.

If he likes those and wants more I'm not sure what would be next on the list for him.
Weighing the Odds or SSHE or even HEFAP or TOP...or perhaps even HOH1 or HOH2 (since he's more familiar with the tourneys from TV...and I think he has a lot of respect for 'that Harrington guy').

Anyway - not really looking for suggestions or anything...because I suspect he'll just read through the first couple books and say "well...kind of interesting I guess. But I don't think I feel like reading the more in-depth ones".

Just thought I would report on a different and interesting purpose for poker-books that my Dad is testing out.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: My Dad\'s purpose for poker books

There will be a lot of poker specific information in most of these books that could be difficult to understand without also having some playing experience. If I were going to pick a book for this, it would not be a book about a specific poker form. My choice would be Gambling Theory and Other Topics, which even mentions stock trading several times.

Here is a huge thread about poker from the Elite Trader message boards. I have some posts in there (as SicilianTM), and you might spot some other 2+2'ers in there as well.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:53 PM

Thanks Tim.

Yes...that is truly a monster thread.

Haven't even gotten to any of your posts yet. I'm skimming through them and it mostly looks like a bunch action-junkie trader-types getting interested in poker and learning to 'plug all their leaks by reading WLLHE'.

Some fairly interesting posts in the midst of all the borderline-nonsense though.

The article on page 8 of the thread about Stanford Wong was particularly interesting to me (I used to count cards and was a regular on his blackjack forums).

I forwarded the thread to my Dad and told him to keep an eye out for your posts.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: My Dad\'s purpose for poker books/ i know why

poker is quite a bit like trading, so if your dad is a trader rather than investor, it will help. On the flip side let me reccommend a trading book which has helped my poker tremendously. Its called Trading in the Zone, by Mark Douglass. good luck
Old 08-22-2005, 08:43 AM

My best friend is a day trader, and there really are many similarities between trading and poker. You have similar swings, you rely on your skill, but still get screwed by luck at times. Most importantly if you tilt, and don’t keep a level head, you lose….. a lot.
But as similar as they are, I doubt there is really much you can learn from reading poker books. Id guess the best books would be Theory of Poker, Zen and the Art of Poker, Some of Masons Essays. That being said, I think a trader can gain a lot from learning to play the game well, as it gives you an insight into how people think, and their strategies, and much like poker if you trade better than the other guy you win…….

Basically, just like trading, if you want to learn anything about the game, you need to put in your time at the tables [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2005, 01:26 PM

Looks like that may happen a little bit.

He's definitely caught a bit of an interest.

He looked through the thread that Tim provided and sent me this e-mail.

[ QUOTE ]
Bob--Thanks for the info on gambling/trading. I read several of the posts on the various links that you provided. There does seem to be a consistent point of view that playing poker will help trading and probably vice versa. While I am not strictly a trader I do believe that there are similarities between trading/investing and poker. Thus can probably refine or learn additional strategic aspects of trading/investing. The books I have read on trading seem to make a lot of similar strategic points to playing hold'em. So I am going to try to learn enough about Texas Hold'em to play a little--obviously start with .05/.10 games. May also help my ability/inability to understand and read people in general.

All for now. Thanks.

DAD

[/ QUOTE ]

not even sure whether he will get much enjoyment out of poker. He really seems to be interested in it purely for the potential of improving his mind.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:27 PM

I know u were not asking for suggestions, and i would imagine this one has already crossed your mind. But in case it did not, your Dad may enjoy the Poker MBA by Dinkin and Gitomer. Hope that is helpful. This book kept running through my mind as i read your post.
sincerely
bud
Old 08-22-2005, 05:49 PM

I haven't read that...but I've heard of it.

Thanks for reminding me.
I do think it would be something of interest for him (and possibly for me too).
Will try to track that one down.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:07 PM

The Poker MBA is not currently in print from the publisher, but you can probably find used or B-stock copies on Amazon or Ebay.

however, I would suggest ordering it using FPP's from Poker Stars, because mine came with a PERSONALIZED autograph from Mr. Greg D. himself.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:31 PM

definitely will go the stars FPP route.

unfortunately, I just spent my last FPP's on another copy of WLLHE 3rd ed. since I wanted one for myself and I just gave my previous copy to my Dad.

but it shouldn't be too long before I get enough points to order one..or possibly 2 copies of poker MBA.