Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Bottom set... too aggresive?

I felt funny all during this hand... got sucked into capping pre-flop, then hit my set.

Reads: Small blind has only been here for six hands, he's raised four of them pre-flop and folded the other two. He's shown down Axo and suited trash. CO is loose-passive.

Was I too aggressive here?

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (20 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls, CO calls.

I think this is pretty standard so far...

Turn: (18 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, CO calls.

Now I'm concerned... given hands I've seen SB play, I'm concerned that I'm going to see A5 on showdown. But I remember someone in the forum saying that if your full house gets beat by a bigger one you're supposed to lose a lot of chips, so...

River: (30 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 42 BB

Did I play this right?
Old 08-21-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Bottom set... too aggresive?

it was fine because CO is coming along and you likely have him beat. you are behind very few hands by the end. A Maniac will play Ax like AA here a lot. I take it you lost, but I wouldn't change a thing, especially with someone else coming along for the ride.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Results

Actually I won... but I'm trying not to be results oriented. I felt like a maniac playing this hand.

CO has 7c 7d (two pair, sevens and fives).
Hero has 3c 3d (full house, threes full of fives).
SB has Ac 7s (two pair, aces and fives).
Outcome: Hero wins 42 BB
Old 08-21-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Results

you won! youy obviously played it well! hehe, seriously tho against a nutbag this hand is fine. against a very passive player i slow down. even against an average player i would probably play like this.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I felt funny all during this hand... got sucked into capping pre-flop, then hit my set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely not crazy about the cold-call preflop. If someone in EP had raised and there were a few more cold-callers in front of me, I'd consider it, knowing that I needed to flop the set or get out.

After you cold-call the first time, you absolutely have to call the cap. You actually have the pot odds to draw to your set the second time around.

[ QUOTE ]
Reads: Small blind has only been here for six hands, he's raised four of them pre-flop and folded the other two. He's shown down Axo and suited trash.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key to the hand right here. Is he just as much of a maniac postflop? Yes, SB may have A5/QQ/55, but there are so many other hands he could have that justify your play. With CO happily padding the pot, I'd probably play the same way. (I might just call the river 3-bet but Mr. Calling Station sure makes me want to cap it.)

Sometimes manaics get hands too, so I wouldn't be surprised if you lost this hand (and since you posted here I'm assuming you did).

Edited to add: Oh, I see that you actually did win. Congrats! Not to be results oriented, but this is the perfect example of why Maniac + Calling Station + Very Strong Hand = Push The Hell Out Of This Thing.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:53 PM

I'd like to see three players in front of me before I cold call 33 preflop. You only had two. When it came back to you capped with four opponents, calling the cap was fine.

I think you played it good the rest of the way.

Edit: Congrats. Very nice pot.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:02 PM

It seems that many, many posts here contain questions about things that should be extremley obvious. You have a full house-- do you honestly think that you need to slow down?

The only mistake you made (and it's a pretty bad mistake) was the preflop calls. Cold calling in hopes of 12%... seems like a money loser to me.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Results

Thats an insta-add of SB to your buddy list.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:54 PM

I like the postflop play. Regardless of reads you're supposed to play sets like a maniac, because you're often getting paid off by top pair and two pairs. If you lose a set to an overset or a boat to a yacht (hehe), it happens, 99% of the time your play is correct.

I, however, hate the fact that you were in this hand to begin with. 33 is a pretty trash hand, you can only play it for the set. On the button I might've limped this if at all possible. I'm not playing this to any raise (but I'm possibly too tight), and I'm certaintly dropping this after the 3-bet and cap, regardless of reads.

But nice hit, and congrats on the pot.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not playing this to any raise (but I'm possibly too tight), and I'm certaintly dropping this after the 3-bet and cap, regardless of reads.

[/ QUOTE ]
Negatory. Your odds for calling are there on the cap call. They were not there on the first cold call, but the second time around they are. Look at the size of the pot - your getting 10:1 to call the cap and odds of making a set are 7:1.