Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Session Review Hand #37

I was reviewing the session and took careful note of the blinds play. I think this hand is interesting in that I would have played it a different way, but Im not sure if its better at all or, in fact, much worse.

-- HAND 37 --
Party Poker Hold'em (10 handed) link

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, A.
2 folds, MP2 raises, 3 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.67 SB) 8, 3, 7 (2 players)
Hero checks, MP2 bets, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 2.83 BB.

I think I would have 3-bet for control in the big blind, assuming he doesnt cap, I am taking the lead this hand, assuming I have the best hand. However, I understand this can be a horrible mistake against tight oppenents who may only call with AQ/AK here when 3-bet, but also call to showdown AK/AQ UI. I am not sure If this is a good strategy or not, especially in this limit. I normally play 3/6 6max, so I can appreciate how different a situation this could be.

Either way, thanks for posting the session to give us something to think about/discuss.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Session Review Hand #37

A lot depends on my read on MP2 here. But I'm absolutely putting at least 1 bet in on the flop against all but the most passive preflop raisers. Depending on mood it might be a donkbet, a check/raise, or a check/call, but I am not folding AJ to a single bet HU on an 8-high flop.

With the openraise coming from MP2 and no other callers, I don't really like a 3-bet preflop. There are just too many hands that he's raising which have us in a world of hurt, vs. just a few that we're well ahead of and several that give us a coin flop. I'd rather take control of the hand postflop, where we have a decent chance of folding an AQ or AK UI.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:50 PM

When you check on the flop he's almost guaranteed to bet. Do you think the board hit him? How often do you think you're ahead preflop, and how often did that change on this flop? Do you think you could concievably knock him off AQ? AK?

I think once you think about all this, you'll decide on a better line than c/f this flop.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:01 PM

I like calling the raise then check/raising ragged flop. Lead the turn if he calls. If he reraises, probably call, then check/fold the turn unimproved.