Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2003, 01:37 PM

Default Am I a nit?

Playing $15/$30 last night at Canterbury. Rake structure is 5%, $4 max, taken in increments of $20. UTG raises and only the big blind calls. BB checks and folds to UTG's bet. Dealer drops $4 down the slot. I say "How was that max rake?". Dealer says "No that's right". No one else seems to care so I shut up.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Am I a nit?

No one seems to care?! If the dealer raked two cents too much where I play, half the table would yell at him in unison, and then the other half would bitch out loud at how horrible all the dealers are. The house reduces the rake once our game becomes 6-handed (and the players ask for it)... and as soon as it does, three people say, "rake reduction." Maybe we're all nits... but enough money goes down that damn hole as it is.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:47 PM

It shoulda been $3, right? He must have counted the uncalled flop bet in order to take the extra dollar.

I would let it go but would pay closer attention when I was involved in a hand. If it happened again (whether or not I was in a hand), I would call the floor.

-- Homer
Old 04-02-2003, 01:47 PM

I've seen questionable rakes pulled before, but never said anything because I wasn't in the pot. I figure it's your right to question the rake at any time, but it becomes your responsibility to question it when you're in the pot.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:45 PM

Just like majorkong's experience, at the two places where I play regularly, any error (amount of drop charge, side pot, etc.) that impacts the size of the pot or how much a player has to pay by even a dollar will have multiple players commenting.

Anyway, the times I've played in Vegas, I haven't paid much attention to the amount raked and just assumed the dealer was doing it right. But now you have me thinking.

Who's right - you or the dealer?

Pre-flop, there's $30 (UTG) + $30 (BB) + $10 (SB) = $70 in the pot, right? Now, UTG bets $15 on the flop. Is there a standard practice for whether that bet is "in the pot" for rake calculation purposes if it goes uncalled?

Just curious...
Old 04-03-2003, 05:29 AM

I must be a nit too, we were playing 6-handed the other night, and I wasn't in the pot, but I noticed that the dealer was about to drop $4, and asked him if that was the right drop. He dropped three (the correct amount) instead, and the guy who won the pot thanked me. If it goes down the hole, as far as we are concerned, it disappears forever. If you play shorthanded for a while, and they always drop the full amount, the table might be losing an extra 30-60 dollars an hour to the rake. I think it is worth watching to make sure that the proper amount is dropped.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:19 PM

Bob,
That was me and thanks again.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:54 AM

You are welcome. I would much rather have you have the dollar than Canterbury.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:59 PM

The rake should have been $3. Only called bets should be raked.