Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Up limits or more tables?

Ive been playing $2/$4 for to long, but Im happy with this, I only want to move up limits slowly,

I run at 3bb/100 2 tabling $2/$4, this might be running good, but Im confident I could maintain +2bb/100

So far at $3/$6 Ive been 2 tabing and running at 1.9bb/100

So basically what should my next step be, add a table or aim to move up limits to $5/$10, or stick out at $3/$6 until im comfortably over 2bb/100 over more hands?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Up limits or more tables?

Play 3-6 for another few weeks. If you continue to beat the agmes handily and have comfortable role, there is nothing wrong with taking a shot a 5-10, but getting a little more experience and padding your bankroll is never a bad thing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

gabe
Old 08-19-2005, 04:46 PM

Continue to learn how to crush 3/6, when you're reading move it up to 3 tables then up to 4 when you're ready (2 monitors recommended or CRT with high res). Once you can beat 3/6 short for a good winrate at 4 tables I would recommend taking a shot at 5/10 (starting off at 1 or 2 tables to begin with).
Old 08-19-2005, 04:48 PM

Didn't you make a recent post about the wisdom of playing fewer tables, improving your game, and moving up rather than adding tables? I thought you expressed a strong opinion that this approach was clearly better?

In any event, my personal preference has always been to move up as soon as I felt ready for the next level (assuming the necessary BR of course). I am flirting with the idea of dropping way down to spend a week or two getting comfortable with a move from my 2- and occasional 3-tabling to add a fourth, but still the ultimate goal is really to keep moving up.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:53 PM

Move to 3/6, adjust your play for the SB. You'll do fine.

Good luck.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't you make a recent post about the wisdom of playing fewer tables,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I made post to those players who were complaining of low winrate. I made the post from my perspective of playing 2 tables and working out which hands are playable against which players, much easier to do 2 tabling.

Sometimes I like to put forward an opinion, even if its incorrect, then I can learn from peoples responses.

Thats why Id like to know is playing more tables more difficult than moving up limits and playing better opposition.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:18 PM

I agree long term your best bet is to move up. Your play will improve much better playing 2 tables at the higher limit than learning to effectively multitable the lower.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:08 PM

The best money-making advice I ever got was to move up in limits pronto. Don't be afraid to move down if things don't feel right..

Moving up lets you win more money and learn to play against the mildly better players. Although for $3/6 and $5/10 I think "better" is a strange word.

Guy.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:56 PM

So you're saying if I play mainly for money (as I do), the best advice would be for me to move up from 5/10 to 10/20?
I understand how moving up would help if you wanted to become a better player. If the objective is to win money, how long will it take of the next level to make up for the fewer tables played at once, losing at first, and learning the game before the "investment" of moving up is paid for?

And is this advice after establishing a high winrate at 5/10 for a certain number of hands?

Thanks for your answer.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:23 PM

My thoughts exactly.