Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 10:54 AM

Default First Turbos, Now Ultra Turbos; What\'s next?

I playing almost exclusively on Ultimate Bet. They have a lot of turbo tourneys and sitngos which seem to be quite popular. Now they have introduced Ultra Turbos with even faster blind escalation, and they seem to be catching fire too.

What is next? Person winning the button before the 1st hand wins the tourney? Or goes forward if multitabled?

From my perspective, Ultra Turbos brings the level of $ tourney play closer to the near abysmal state of play money/ free roll poker. All in, all the time. Do players suffer from ADD?

I hope the popularity of this type of structure doesn't push aside the already quick pace of regular online tourneys/sitngos.

Any thoughts?

Frank
Old 08-19-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: First Turbos, Now Ultra Turbos; What\'s next?

Don't play them?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:11 AM

Whilst ROI is lower, and variance is higher, $/hr and expectation per tourney is probably higher for the best players.

All it takes is a strategy adgustment.

Phill
ps, i dont play many of these tourneys (and only as cheap stress relief).
Old 08-19-2005, 12:22 PM

i hate even 15 min rounds. u don't get a hand for 45 min ur dead. i don't see how turbos can be profitable in the long run
Old 08-19-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i hate even 15 min rounds. u don't get a hand for 45 min ur dead. i don't see how turbos can be profitable in the long run

[/ QUOTE ]

I am glad people here don't like turbos. I am good at strategy and preflop play, so I like them. Granted there is a lot of variance.

I don't understand why you are dead if you don't get cards for 45 minutes in a regular online tournament. Who needs cards.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am glad people here don't like turbos. I am good at strategy and preflop play, so I like them. Granted there is a lot of variance.

I don't understand why you are dead if you don't get cards for 45 minutes in a regular online tournament. Who needs cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fish need cards thank goodness
Old 08-19-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't play them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem is that the fish flock to them. Makes the games with longer blind schedules less profitable.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fish need cards thank goodness

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, Gus Hansen Jr and Sr here. Yes, you can accumulate chips w/o cards blind steals, resteals, squeeze plays etc.
But to make a significant place in an MTT, I don't think anyone can argue you need to pick up a few hands along the way.

Turbos are profitable with a higher variance. But you must adjust your strategy and it quickly degenerates into a poker game that I don't really enjoy as much as one with deep stacks.

Of course I don't have to play them, but they also attract alot of the fish away from the longer tourneys. Also, in the case of PokerStars, some of the satellites to certain events are Turbo only.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, Gus Hansen Jr and Sr here. Yes, you can accumulate chips w/o cards blind steals, resteals, squeeze plays etc.
But to make a significant place in an MTT, I don't think anyone can argue you need to pick up a few hands along the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other poster was saying you are dead without cards. If you don't get cards, there are always other things you can try.

Since the poster feels he is dead without cards, I am not suprised he doesn't like turbos. Everyone's stack gets very short and sometimes you have to push without cards ala HOH2.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ps, i dont play many of these tourneys (and only as cheap stress relief).

[/ QUOTE ]

yup. i tried a Turbo shorthanded SnG the other day for entertainment. fun, but a joke.