Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 04:00 AM

Default loose aggressive in mid stakes games...

I am working my way up the limits trying to build a bankroll, and I have found that my play at 5/10 and 6/12 has been extremely profitable playing loose aggressive. I have had 7 winning sessions in a row pretty much trying to control the game. Is this just a hot streak or do some of you guys feel that may be the way to go at these limits or perhaps is that just the nature of that style of play. I feel most of my opponents, usually at the taj and trop, are old rocks that get frustrated and aren't sure how to handle my aggression. Any thoughts???
Old 08-19-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Re: loose aggressive in mid stakes games...

[ QUOTE ]
I have had 7 winning sessions in a row pretty much trying to control the game

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really post in this forum as I am a tournament player, but, if you can control a poker game, you will profit no matter what form of poker it is.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:35 AM

Sometimes i drop down and donk it up. I either end up feeling like the next Stu Ungar or looking like a complete moran.

Expect to have 5 sessions where you can't hit the flop, everyone is playing back at you, and you feel like a complete idiot.

Of course this is all relative, but having a wild guess, I would say that once you start playing more than 25% of your hands at a full limit hold 'em table, you are edging in to territory that nobody can play profitably in the long term. There's some good chapters in "Inside The Poker Mind" pertaining to this, which you really should read to get a perspective on it.

Controlled aggression is of course a neccissity, but unprofitable starting hands are still unprofitable, and no amount of advertising can make up these losses.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:00 AM

loose or tight is not so important here (as long as you don't overdo it) as is the AGGRESSIVE part. You'll simply run over those weak-tight rocks all day long. Of course, they'll think you're an extremely lucky idiot and won't have a clue about how badly they play.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's some good chapters in "Inside The Poker Mind" pertaining to this, which you really should read to get a perspective on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feeney does talk about overplaying and does mention 25 percent in that book, I would say that depending on my position in those games I may play sometimes upwards of 30 to 35 percent of my hands. Also I feel the key at the taj 5/10 is to pick a good seat where you can isolate the donks and sometimes if I feel I can outplay someone, I will run the play everytime without even looking at my cards, hypothetically speaking
Old 08-19-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course this is all relative, but having a wild guess, I would say that once you start playing more than 25% of your hands at a full limit hold 'em table, you are edging in to territory that nobody can play profitably in the long term.

[/ QUOTE ]

A wild guess is exactly what it is!
Old 08-19-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course this is all relative, but having a wild guess, I would say that once you start playing more than 25% of your hands at a full limit hold 'em table, you are edging in to territory that nobody can play profitably in the long term.

[/ QUOTE ]

A wild guess is exactly what it is!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it was!

Hence the double safeguard ("wild" AND "edging"). Now give me some real stats, me man....

OP seems to know what his doing though. "LAG" is such a relative concept, after all.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:22 PM

All I'm saying is that there are definately full limit players who beats the game with a flop % >25.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:39 PM

who?

Not doubting you, need to know more.

This can't be optimal? Or else i'm completely confused about poker.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who?

Not doubting you, need to know more.

This can't be optimal? Or else i'm completely confused about poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This board is very cultlike at times in defending 'the true faith' and not accepting that there might be other paths to enlightenment. There are only a couple of LAG players who I have played where I knew for sure that they where long term winners (about 1BB hour). But I suspect that the Party 15/30 and 30/60 has the perfect environment for good LAG players: there are a big pool of players, so their style doesn't get known as easily and lot of fish to take advantage of. LAG's can be very hard to handle for TAG's on a table of people with mixed skills.