Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 08:14 PM

Default 99 UTG+1

BB is loose / neutral (not overly passive or aggressive) after about 50 hands.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG folds.

Flop: (7.33 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.66 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>

Thoughts/comments/criticism on post flop play encouraged.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: 99 UTG+1

I think its too aggressive with only 4th nuts.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:18 PM

Why not just call/call?
Old 08-18-2005, 08:19 PM

I am calling down after the turn and I don't like the flop raise as the only outs you can buy is if MP2 has exactly the T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and will fold.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:35 PM

does anyone just fold to the flop bet?

you say that BB is not aggressive, he either has an A or a high diamond, possibly both...
Old 08-18-2005, 08:41 PM

I raise the flop because:
::: I want absolute position
::: I want free cards if applicable
::: I want to try and ensure my diamond draw is good.
::: I'd prefer continuing heads-up as opposed to 3-handed.

When I am 3-bet I decide to fold any card that is not a diamond or a 9.

Turn raise:
::: Try to make better diamonds make a bad fold.
::: Find out how good my 9 of diamonds is
::: See free showdown.
::: Get my opponent to put in more BB if he has a worse diamond or none at all.

by his flop actions I was fairly confident in him not having a made hand. I felt his actions cold be pair/draw or two pair or set. With so few hands on him it was tough to judge a course of action.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:42 PM

We are getting a nice overlay for our flush draw so I think that it is live often enough to continue I think that we are closer to folding than raising however. How about continuing on the flop getting 8 to 1 but then folding on the turn if we miss getting 5 to 1 or so given the fact we may being drawing thin or dead is that ever a possibility.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:49 PM

I'm confident I can get the Q,J,T of diamonds to fold enough if it's naked. That's all I'm really asking, I cannot expect a player with Kd to fold her, but if he doesn't already have me beat he can at least pay two bets to find out, plus when he cold calls he gives his hand away.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:49 PM

I think the flop raise is pretty good in that the chance of promoting your diamond draw (particularly folding the J or 10 of diamonds) combined with the free card possibility makes it worth attempting a raise.

Once the turn gets bet I don't like a turn raise. You are only going to fold hands without diamonds. Bigger diamonds are extremely unlikely to fold at this point in the hand. Note that you'll get the chance of value-betting the river behind if you choose it to be prudent on the river.

The hard question is this: if you raise the flop, only get called, and checked to on the turn, do you bet a non-diamond turn? My intuition is yes, as you'd like to protect against overcards and charge diamond draws that don't contain pairs. I'd be interested to hear what others think.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone just fold to the flop bet?

you say that BB is not aggressive, he either has an A or a high diamond, possibly both...

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely you are not suggesting folding to a hand like Kd7x? becaus it's a scary flop?

Heads up I'd say my 9d is good 50% of the time my draw comes through. Three handed most likely less, but raising the third player out can possibly strengthen my draw, and maybe he'll fold A9 and the Kd7x hand will not connect. That raise killed two birds with one stone.