Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 03:36 PM

Default WA/WB vs. a TAG who probably thinks I\'m LAG

We're about 30 hands in, and I've had a great run of cards, seeing a good 1/3 or perhaps even more of flops, raising most of them. I had to show down a bluff OOP as well. Villain plays like a TAG on a sugar high, just a bit too aggressive for his own good but still looks like a solid player. We squared off once on my blind steal attempt, which he defended (3-bet) from the SB w/ A9s and flopped an Ace (I folded the flop).

I bet the flop here to get rid of UTG+1 in the event that Villain raised. If Villain doesn't raise, great, I'm betting a turn blank for value and assuming he's on overcards (which I may have reverse dominated).

After the raise, I figure I'm WA/WB here but I decide to check/call down, mainly because I want to see a showdown here. If I bet the river, I would definitely call a raise from Villain given what he has shown me so far and what I think he thinks of me.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB
Old 08-18-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: WA/WB vs. a TAG who probably thinks I\'m LAG

Interesting hand for river play.

If you think he's capable of raising a river bet with a worse hand checking and calling seems okay. If not I would bet and fold. I just don't want TT and AK getting off the hook. From the sounds of it this guy seems agressive enough that he's going to bet no matter what though.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:05 PM

I think that CO raising your flop bet made it more likely that he had an overpair than overcards.

Nonetheless, I think that I would have felt inclined to call down from the turn also for the size of the pot and the chance that you had the best hand.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:04 PM

Nice hand. Very standard because of your pot odds (seeing this trend in a lot of posts recently). Once you get 3bet preflop you have to figure that the pot will be big enough for you to showdown TPTK (AJ) with regularity. The villain's read on you is even more reason to call down.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that CO raising your flop bet made it more likely that he had an overpair than overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. Take into account the co's read on the hero, and the possibility of his raising 99-TT, or AJ, KJs on the flop. Doubtless, his flop raise is a show of strength, but there are too many possible holdings to say what it means exactly.

P.S. Villain could even be on a flush draw with 2 big clubs like KcQc.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:08 PM

The PF and flop action makes it look like you're up against an overpair so I would not bet the river. Worth showing down though.

nh
Old 08-18-2005, 05:12 PM

I think you played this just fine. I wouldn't have done anything different.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:17 PM

Personally I like a check/raise for value in this spot since you are about a 2:1 favorite against his range (99+/AJ+). If he makes it 3-bets I would just calldown and expect to win very often against his AK or AQ or TT.

I don't get a flop bet in this spot to be honest since UTG+1 is probably drawing near stone dead against both us and the CO. If he has a hand like AT, he needs running tens if the CO has AQ or AK or QQ. Try to keep him in the pot. Very clear check/raise here imo.

Brad
Old 08-18-2005, 05:22 PM

*grunch*

bet the river?
Old 08-18-2005, 05:22 PM

why no river C/R?