Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Playing 2-pr versus aggressive players

Villain here is SLA.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (2.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

I figured he most likely had some random overcards. And I knew he was aggressive. If I bet on the flop, he might have raised, but he also might have folded with just overcards. I decided since he was so aggressive, I'd make more money by check-calling the flop and check-raising the turn.

Then I saw the turn opened up both straight and flush draws, so I changed my mind and lead out. When he re-raised me on the turn, I started doubting he had overcards except for something like JT or T9. He also could have made a set or better two-pair and all I had was top and bottom pair.

Obviously the river was a disaster. I would have called had he bet since he was so aggressive.

I think I played this poorly and am uncertain how I should have played it. Any advise?
Old 08-18-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Playing 2-pr versus aggressive players

Players tend to categorize their opponents based on the way they themselves play. For example you gave your opponent credit for T9/JT here after stating that he is slightly loose preflop. You need to consider that he may have 74, Tx, 6x, or Jx.

Secondly, an aggressive postflop player is not folding or giving you any credit if you bet the flop. Your hand is strong but vulnerable on a 2 flush 2 straight board so either bet or check/raise.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:41 PM

Bet the flop. You're heads up with 2 pair I think we can get aggressive here. Bet the turn as well. Once he raises the turn I'm ok with calling down without a read.

Durs
Old 08-18-2005, 03:43 PM

Bet flop.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:50 PM

EscapePlan, this is exactly the sort of thing that kills me. It has gotten to the point that I am simply leading out on all three streets when I flop two crappy pairs. If the villain is really aggressive, there is a good chance he will raise you on the flop with overcards. Plus, with two to a flush and an eight and a nine on the board, there are a ton of turn cards that will scare you like this (T, 7, 8, spade). So I would like to get my aggression out early, when I am confident I am ahead.

So I would bet out on the flop, and three-bet if raised. If he caps I will probably check call the next two streets if they turn out to be scare cards like these.

I now look forward to learning why this line is wrong.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:05 PM

You're right... I didn't even consider how many scare cards could come on the turn. And since he's so aggressive, he'd probably re-raise me on the flop.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:53 PM

I would have bet the flop, I don't want to give MP2 a free card here in the event he checks too. If you were expecting him to bet the flop, I would have c/r.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:07 PM

The pot is very small and you have a solid hand. So betting out or not on the flop or not is discussable.

If you trust you read then a check/call, check/raise seems like a decent gamble.

-----------

And frankly. Do you think the flop is so scary, that this should be taken into consideration?

I mean, if there where like 5 players seeing the flop it would be quite different. But only against 1 player it seems that the turn won´t change that much...
Old 08-18-2005, 05:14 PM

True, I was only against one player. But I thought it was very likely he held a T here.

In retrospect, especially considering I put him on a T and he was aggressive, I should have stuck with the check-raise on the turn.

I think betting out the flop versus such an aggressive player would be okay. Against a tighter and slightly less aggressive opponent, a check-call might better in this small pot. Here, he'd probably raise me back if I bet the flop. I could either 3-bet here, or call with the intention to check-raise the turn.

So many options...
Old 08-18-2005, 05:43 PM

Why is a T so likely here? That is too narrow of a holding imo.

He could have easily read your turn lead as you hitting your pair (ie having a 7) in which case he still likes his 8 or 9.