Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 06:07 PM

Default 5/5 NL LIVE hand opinions

Was playing live last night and had a ton of chips for 5/5 and was being very aggressive and showing down a lot of bluffs. I had maybe $3000 and opponent had $400 or so. I am opening nearly every hand for $25 and trying to outplay everyone after the flop.
Anyway, I open for $25 with Qd7d and get 4 callers. Flop is Jd 5d 3s with 2 diamonds givng me a flush draw. I make it $50 to go and get 2 callers. Turn is 10c and I bet out $50 again. First guy folds, and the button makes it $100, minimum raising me. My thinking was that he hit his 10 and had a flush draw also, something like Ad10d. River is 7s. I check, he makes it $100, leaving him with a little over $150. I think for a second and make it $900 knowing he only has $150 left. He thinks for a bit and mucks and I show down my bluff as I was trying to get action on my big hands which worked well. A couple people at the table complained saying it was so easy to see that I was bluffing, keep in mind that they also saw my hand and it was easy to say. Most the others thought it was a great play and couldn't believe I played it like that and he fell for it. What do you guys think? Only one guy had over $500 and I was constantly making $1000 bets and such to scare people and it was working great. I'd also make the same bet with huge hands and get paid off.
So was this play profitable or good, or bad in the long run? I was running so good last night, not sure if I was getting real lucky or playing well?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: 5/5 NL LIVE hand opinions

i think you might be a fish
Old 08-18-2005, 10:30 PM

I think you MIGHT have been getting lucky...surprised he mucked that river, he DEFINITELY didn't have the Q though. If he had something like AdTd, why are you calling the turn c/r? Are you just hoping the diamond doens't hit SO you can bluff him off his Ts? lol...good work! I think that river bluff is seriously -ev (ESPECIALLY with your image).
Old 08-18-2005, 11:13 PM

I think your opponents are retarded if you betting $900 when they have $150 influences their decisions any different than you betting $150.

Long run your particular move seems poor, I can't imagine too many people folding in that spot. But hey, it worked there I guess, maybe you sensed something in your opponent.

JKratzer
Old 08-19-2005, 09:17 PM

You looked into his soul.

Good job.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:36 PM

You were lucky. At a table full of people that are halfway intelligent your constant overbets would be called in a heartbeat. Just be happy that you either

a) Had the hands when they called
b) Bet when they hadn't enough to call
Old 08-20-2005, 12:23 AM

Please tell us were we can play against guys that will put that much money in, then fold to a blank on the river when 75% of their money is in the pot.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:33 AM

DUDE YOURE READY TO TAKE ON THE UB 50/100