Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Battle of the blinds -- K high showdown at 10/20

No stats on villian, and he has only been at the table for a couple orbits. However I saw him vastly overplay a pair of ducks (CO limp, I raise w/ AK. he calls in the SB w/ 22. QT7 flop and he C/R the flop and bet every street and lost to CO's pair of sevens.)

Also, another hand I was not involved him he played overaggressive though I can't remember the details. Based on that info, is it worth calling this down?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 08-16-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Battle of the blinds -- K high showdown at 10/20

bizzump
Old 08-16-2005, 09:44 PM

This is totally read/image dependant. Not sure what you want us to say?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:05 PM

I fold the turn, unless you have a good read.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:08 PM

I sweated a very similiar hand (board texture etc) recently, where KJ was held by hero and he bet called a raise, and quickly called the river and the guy had K8 and it was pretty obvious he'd bet with XX so it was the right move.

It's very read dependent and feel dependent but at times is the right move. This is sortof like an incomplete information problem since it takes some feel for what villian has been doing in the last few hands to honestly know whether this is a good move or not.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:19 PM

If I think my opponent is aggro enough to bluff when he senses weakness, i'll check the turn intending to call and get to showdown.

As you played it I think you have to find a fold - mainly because the pot is so small on the turn...he may be firing with a draw but you have to be right very, very often for it to be profitable.

Surf
Old 08-17-2005, 01:44 AM

Does anyone think there could be merit to check-calling a flop like this out of position with king or queen high against an aggressive player who goes to a lot of showdowns? I just feel like I get knocked off my hand a little too often by just firing away at such a ragged low card board.