Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Do I need to dump this on the turn?

Villain seemed TAG-like.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.16 BB
Old 08-16-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Do I need to dump this on the turn?

First, fold pre-flop. You are facing a legtimate raise here and J8o is not nearly strong enough to call.

Second, I think I call this down. Your flop/turn line is consistent with a flush draw which means that villain may be raising you with a range of hands that include medium pocket pairs like 88-99 and perhaps overcards. His thinking for the raise in thsoe cases would be, (a) I charge more if he does have a flush draw, (b) there is some chance I make the beter hand fold, and (c) I take the free showdown unimproved. You will often see an overpair here or AJ but I think your hand is good often enough given your effective odds to call down.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:07 PM

fold pre-flop
Old 08-16-2005, 08:12 PM

Since Villian could be very likely going for the free showdown raise, what do you think about donking the river and folding to a raise?

On the other hand, one could argue that after Villian follows through with a presumable river value bet that it's fairly safe for Hero to fold?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:38 PM

You have to see a showdown. That turn is semibluff rich for hands like AK, AQ, spades... is 89s in his range? I think preflop is okay against a player who opens a wide range of hands and overplays no pair postflop.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:51 PM

I think you're beat 99% of the time on the turn.