Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Help with small pairs!

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>. The instigator raises to 1$, villian calls, Hero calls

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Villian bets 1$ Hero calls, the instigator folds.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
. Villian bets 4$ Hero raises to 15$ Villian goes all in for another .20 Hero calls

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot:41.52 Villian shows A T for a straight to the ace Hero shows 3 5's and loses
Old 08-15-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Help with small pairs!

raise the flop. There are potential straight and flush draws out there...you have to protect your hand. Nothing you can do once he hits his straight unless the board pairs.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:40 PM

Cliches like "charge the draws" and "don't slowplay sets" aren't always stupid or wrong. This flop is a perfect example of why you need to raise to protect your hand. If you had raised the flop to say, $10 (a pot-sized raise) and villian then chose to draw anyway, you just shrug and accept the fact that he got lucky making a poor call.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:41 PM

Djoyce is right. I almost always make a potsized raise with sets, unless it's a really dry board, and this board certainly doesn't qualify as "dry."
Old 08-15-2005, 06:48 PM

This advice is exactly right. I was on the reverse of this last night in a $50.00 5max game with QJs. I open raised, he flat called. Opponent flopped a set of sixes and I flopped open ended with a back door flush draw. He min bet into me, I called and spiked the nut strait. He pushes, I call and the board fails to pair! This spawned a few choice remarks from him about how lucky I was. I love when people slow play sets on draw heavy boards.